Monday, June 2, 2008

Chocolate Chip Chai Tea Cookies


On Saturday I was in a baking mood, and although I wanted to bake just a good chocolate chip cookie recipe, I began brainstorming how I could incorporate tea. And then I had the thought: Chai Tea. I didn't have a tin of chai tea on hand, so I cut open a silken teabag of chai and used the leaves, about a heaping teaspoon's worth, which were pulsed in the food processor along with the oatmeal that makes these cookies so good. I really, really liked the results! If you try these, please let me know what you think, OK?

Chocolate Chip Chai Tea Cookies

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1-1/4 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 heaping teaspoon chai tea leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used a few pecans and walnuts)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a food processor, pulse oatmeal and chai tea together until very fine and of a powdery consistency. Set aside. Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and blend well. Add flour, oatmeal/tea mixture, salt, baking powder and baking soda and blend. Then add chocolate chips and nuts. Mix just til blended. Shape into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Yields about 4 dozen cookies.

And now if you'll permit me, I'd like to add a few words about my $2 cookie plate.


I was browsing an antique mall a week or so ago, and I spotted this pretty frosted glass plate in great condition. Some of the paint on the roses was missing, giving it rather a Shabby Chic look, but the glass had no chips or cracks, and it had three elegant little pedestal feet.

This isn't deep enough to be used as a bowl, so a cookie plate it is. It's probably the best $2 find I've had in a long time. And really, it's what inspired me to bake these cookies!

5 comments:

  1. The cookies look good. I have made chocolate chai pound cake with the chai powdered mix, but I've never tried using the loose tea in a recipe. Thanks for the new recipe to try.

    Your footed glass plate is very pretty. Great bargain. My best $2 find for the week was on Saturday at a local yard sale. I bought a lovely deep rose colored McCormick teapot with infuser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea, thanks! I used a little more oatmeal than you because I like a thicker cookie, but great flavor and unique, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for cookies with tea in them to make for my yearly get together with my mother-n-law and I found this recipe. I was so glad I found it and even happier that I made them. I actually used Red Chai Tea in them instead of regular chai tea and they were really good! My sister likes them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great unique recipe! Thanks for another way to use chai! I too added more oatmeal for a thicker consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great unique cookie recipe! I added some more oatmeal as well without powdering it. Thanks for a new way to use chai!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!