Monday, February 15, 2021

Valentine's thrifting, roses, and a mental health day!

On Friday, I decided I needed to get out from behind the desk and go have what I call a "mental health day," just a day to leave work behind and go do something fun for myself, and that often involves meandering through an antique mall. I knew a rainy Friday morning would probably be a safe time with few people out and about, and it was. I headed to an antique mall in nearby Fayetteville, Georgia, and I was one of only about three or four people in the place, which was absolutely delightful. I actually got some ideas for my books (even though I wasn't originally thinking about my writing), and that was a nice bonus. But the goodies I've found over the last week or so seem to have had a theme, and I thought I'd do another "loot shoot" today! (If you can read backward, you'll note that my little $2 antique mall cookie cutter above reads "Be My Valentine.")


First and foremost, I was beyond thrilled to find a vintage pink Whitman's valentine's candy box. Do any of you collect them? I have wanted to, but they are usually out of my price range. I was following a turquoise one on eBay, and it sold for $171. So, yeah, that wasn't happening. Pinterest boards are full of the pretty vintage ones, but I just figured it might be a while before I came across one that was affordable.

And then, as I entered the last booth at that antique mall in Fayetteville, I found this one! A little spotty, but in lovely vintage condition, really, and just $8—and then a 14 percent Valentine's Weekend discount off that, so $6.88!  I was, as the guy on Duck Dynasty used to say, "Happy, happy, happy!"

I was also near a new-to-me Goodwill, and I picked up another plate for my Christmas 2021 cookie giving, for just $1.29. Since this is rather large and has handles, I guess it's technically a tray. Isn't it lovely? And Dollar Tree prices, I'm tellin' ya! I hope to convince more folks to shop thrift stores for their gift-giving plates. 

Oh, how I love those pretty pink roses. (Okay, I'll admit that I'm starting to think I should keep it!)


Another Goodwill find was a $1.99 Jell-O mold featuring roses. Actually, you can cook cakes in these as well, and that's what I plan to try. Would a rose-embossed cake not be lovely on the tea table once we're all back to having teas? I've already warned my husband that I intend to entertain much more often once the pandemic is behind us. He looks a little concerned, and he probably should be. I'm not even kidding.

Then to cap it all off, I took Aunt Jane thrifting on Saturday and found this pretty heart-shaped candy dish with roses in the design for 50 cents. I'd been looking for a heart-shaped candy dish, and this was perfect.



And to go inside of it … Did you know that the good people of Hershey's now make *rose* kisses? They're chocolate with "meltaway" centers, which  taste almost like a truffle, and the foil wrappers look like roses. Highly recommended if you come across some Valentine's Day candy on clearance!

7 comments:

  1. Love your vintage pink heart candy box! I have several red boxes, but not nearly as fancy with the gently folded ribbon as this pink one. Pretty! You found a lot of beautiful bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you found some great stuff! Seek and ye shall find. I love that china tray with the roses and the little handles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those "rose" kisses sound too yummy! Almost makes me want to go to CVS to see if they have any on clearance. But I should probably stay away, for the sake of my waistline as well as my overall health! I'm so glad you found a candy box, and I love the plate. I'm glad you could take your mental health day and do things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great finds! Doesn't it just make you feel so good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, I didn't need to know about the chocolate. Nope, no! You tempt me.
    But I love all your thrift finds, especially that beautiful candy box. What fun finds! How we need those mental health days from time to time. I haven't had one in quite awhile and I think I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipient of the tray will be doubly blessed. I know your cookies are wonderful and the handles of the tray are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds. I would bet the crystal heart came from Mikasa. They were so popular in my younger days when my children were little. We had an outlet store nearby I used to visit and lots of ladies gave Mikasa as gifts then. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!