Monday, March 9, 2020

A weekend at the Paper Moon Crafting Retreat in Pine Mountain

When my friend Kathy finally moved back to Newnan after spending quite a few years in Savannah following her husband's job transfer, I often got to hear about how much she missed her crafting friends back in Savannah. In recent years, they started gathering for a crafting weekend at this lovely retreat cottage in Pine Mountain, just about an hour from my house, and when I was invited to join them for this weekend's edition, I was eager to sign up!

Because Kathy (the one standing beside me) had told me so much about these ladies, I had no doubt I would enjoy meeting Debbie, Janis, Lucia, Wendy, Christina, and Vicki, but what I didn't expect was that I would feel such an instant kinship with them! By nightfall on Thursday, we were already  talking about not just crafts but also life, family, our churches—even praying together, and it all felt so comfortable and easy.

Crafting is what brought us all there for the weekend, and Paper Moon has a wonderful three-story design that is perfect for that. Upstairs was the loft with some sleeping accommodations, and the main floor had a living room (shown here), dining table, fully stocked kitchen, and two bedrooms and two bathrooms.

I thought the coffee station was so pretty.

And I was delighted to discover it had tea (even though, naturally, I had packed a whole hamper full of teas myself, just in case).

I would guess that the owner of the cottage, who I believe is a crafter herself, must have some tea-loving sensibilities too.

I loved the dessert plates displayed above this quilt …

And these framed butter pats made me want to start collecting them.

Of course, much of our action occurred downstairs in the crafting studio, where each of us had our own table for whatever crafting we chose to pursue. Even though I had taken quilting, crochet, and paper crafts to work on, I must confess that I talked and visited with the others more than I actually crafted, and I came home with lots of new ideas and much inspiration.

And also on the tea front, I did make a rustic-looking teacup card, which was new for me, and it really summed up the way I felt: that these new friends were just my cup of tea! Have you ever been on a crafting retreat? This was my first, and I sure hope there will be more of them in my future! (If you're a local and want to check out the place for yourself, click here. Their rates are quite reasonable!)




7 comments:

  1. That sounds like such fun! My paper-crafting friends and I have talked about doing such a retreat but we haven't done it yet. I'm glad you could go meet new friends and enjoy the crafting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on several craft retreats and always have a wonderful time. Love seeing what everyone is working on and come home with some new ideas. The cottage you were at looks like the perfect craft retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a special time! Love this idea. My friend Joyce - a dear local tea pal - is a master quilter and just did a long quilt weekend recently. I had never heard of anything like this but just love the idea!!

    She said she met them - all military wives who love quilting have been doing this for 23 years. As being military wives they often move - so no matter where life has taken them they always get together. I believe she went to SC. They visit, laugh, pray and quilt together. I just think it is so nifty!

    Anyway, hope this is a beginning of a lifelong thing for you, too, dear friend. BTW- your hair looks awesome. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crafting weekend sounds like so much fun. I would love to spend the weekend sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've never been on a crafting weekend, we do have a crafters retreat here in Mechanicsburg, PA. I attended a luncheon there to get to see the place. It's a good idea! Gather with friends, away from any intrusions, and finish that project all while renewing your spirit with friendship. Sounds like you did all that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is a retreat I could really enjoy. How totally wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!