Friday, March 27, 2020

A "new" cookie recipe that's worth sharing

So in addition to finishing up my second cozy mystery and starting on a third, I am also this year aiming to publish a cookbook of vintage Christmas recipes. Yesterday, I made some coconut cookies using a Baker's Coconut recipe from the fifties, and these coconut cookies were great iced (they seemed to ice everything that moved back in the fifties), but the plain cookies would be great for teatime as well. Most of the women I know are baking more than usual these days, so I thought I'd share the cookie recipe here in case any of you are coconut fans.

Merry Christmas Cookies

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or shortening (I used shortening)
2 eggs, unbeaten
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups Baker's Coconut

Sift flour, then add baking powder, salt, and sugar. Combine and sift again into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add shortening, eggs, 2 tablespoons of the milk, and vanilla. Beat by hand for 2 minutes. Add coconut and remaining milk, then beat for another half minute. Chill batter for two hours. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, making sure the cookies are social distancing two inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Yields about 4 dozen 2-inch cookies.

Icing: Sift 2 cups of confectioner's sugar, add 2 tablespoons of milk, then combine well and tint using food coloring. Spread on cookies and, if desired, immediately sprinkle with more coconut.

8 comments:

  1. I bet these are delicious! So glad to know there are more books coming, both cozys and cookbooks. I'm ready to help any time you need me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to be so sick of beta reading for me, Joy, but boy, am I happy you're willing!

      Delete
  2. How exciting! Who doesn't need another Christmas Recipe Book? This looks lovely! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernideen! I'll be sure to send you a review copy when it comes out!

      Delete
  3. Yummy! And you certainly know how to keep yourself busy! From cozy mysteries to Christmas cookies, you have it covered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your cozy mysteries and Christmas cookies, with a cup of tea, of course, sound like a great way to spend an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!