Friday, July 8, 2011

Good buys and goodbyes in Wisconsin

It's time to wrap up tales of my trip to Wisconsin, and of course I couldn't end without sharing a few of my "souvenir" finds related to teatime! At a thrift store in Sheboygan, I found this chintz sugar and creamer set. It's Japanese, not English as I generally prefer, but I've gotten interested in chintz again and thought this was a cute set.

Each piece had an *especially* cute price, I thought!

And while we were still in Door County, somewhere between Sister Bay and Egg Harbor I saw the prettiest little antiques shop, Shades of the Past.

With glass and china filling the windows, this cried out for a stop! Friends, you would have loved it here. Almost everything in this packed but tidy little store was silver, china or glass, and I would have to say this is one of the prettiest antique shops I've ever visited. Every item appeared to be lovingly selected and displayed. Prices were fair, and I'll bet almost every one of you would have left with something if you'd been there!

I'd been looking for a single pretty spoon with a mother of pearl handle, something to use when styling photos for this blog and other projects, and this spoon fit the bill. The bowl of the spoon is rather flat, and with a little research I learned it is a jam spoon. Tea lovers definitely need jam spoons, don't we!

The IE&S on the back indicates it was made by Isaac Ellis & Sons in Sheffield, England between 1897 and 1913.

I was passing by a bookstore in downtown Plymouth when I saw a rack of books marked $1. I've long been intrigued by the Duchess of Windsor, especially after seeing "The King's Speech," and I have not had a very favorable view of her. I was willing to invest a dollar in seeing if I could find a reason to like her.

And I haven't read the book yet, but the photos convinced me the Duchess couldn't have been *all* bad! I like knowing that she selected her own china when entertaining.

And here she and the Duke are apparently having tea. Interesting!

Finally, in the Quilter's Quest quilt shop in Sister Bay, I came across a bolt of clearance fabric with some nice teatime scenes. I won't have time to stitch again until later this fall, but I knew I had to add this to my stash of teatime fabrics.

I bought two yards - one for me, one for one of you - and if you'd like to win this fabric, just leave a comment by 7 a.m. EST Monday morning. Thanks so much for coming along on my travels this week!

22 comments:

  1. What fun souvenirs! Love the little spoon ~ what a treasure! and the chintz ~ what a bargain! I know there are fun things in that antique store that would catch my fancy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to know what you think of the Duchess after reading her book. She intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing your vacation finds, Angela! The fabric is so cute. We'll look forward to seeing what you do with it. I think it would make a cute apron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love the spoon. What great finds. Love the fabric too. I'm learning to quilt, would love this. :)

    Terry, PA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not seen many spoons with engraving like yours. I'll start looking for it in your pictures.

    You've bought the ideal vacation souvenirs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed reading about your Wisconsin trip, and especially love the chintz finds! The tea fabric is adorable and you are amazing to have bought enough to share. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved all you finds while on vacation. That fabric is darling and I would love to be entered in your give-away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Angela - love your post today...That antique store looks so nice and your finds are Fabulous! *
    * I need to start a 'Shopping with Angela Fund' and whenever you're out & about, I'm sure I'd love anything you came across. That spoon is so neat, love the markings on the back. The Duchess book looks interesting too - I like all the photos.

    Thanks for sharing your trip, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute fabric.
    one can never have too much fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely assortment of treasures to add to your collections. You must have really enjoyed your trip and how nice to show us your discoveries and share one as a giveaway.
    Isn't it fun to discover all of the fun places along the way when you go on a journey? It's wonderful of you take us along with you, Angela.

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Exciting great finds! The cream and sugar are very pretty at fantastic prices. Love the fabric, and there is no way I could have passed up the book. The outside of the antique shop is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gorgeous! It's so nice to be back and visiting you! My computer had crashed (it lived a good life for us for 8 years) but now we've got a new one and it's so nice and FAST! Wow, you don't realize how much you use it until it's not available. ha ha

    And this post is such a lovely one to come back to visit you on! It looks like you had a lovely trip and that antique store.... Such eye candy! And your right, I would have definitely bought several things... especially the book! ha ha

    Blessings,
    Janeen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fabric. Wouldn't this make a beautiful wide border on the bottom of a tea towel. :o)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What cute fabric! Looks like you had lots of shopping fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love the fabric. !!!!!I saw the cutest teapot shaped purse at a local tearoom. It would be fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved reading about your vacation finds as well! It's always fun seeing what other people discover during their travels - almost as good as finding things yourself! Wonderful souvenirs of a wonderful trip. That antique store must have been a blast, and I, too, would be interested in knowing what you think of the Duchess of Windsor after you've read her memoirs. The "Royals" are fascinating to me, as is anything having to do with England.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a Brit always love to see the art of tea around the world.

    The spoon is delightful.

    I enjoy your creative tea sandwiches.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your kind of shopping. What a very cute antique shop for sure. Love the spoon and chintz ware. The book also looks like it would be interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Angela,

    I've enjoyed reading about your recent vacation travels. So delightful finding out about places that most travel brochures might not include. Your fabric was a wonderful souvenir. I'm sewing some 'tea' projects and it would be perfect for one of them.

    Janet P.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Love the tea fabric. Would make a fantastic addition to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun you must have had. Love the tea fabric as well as all the other fantastic items you found.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The spoon is beautiful! I like the fabric too. That is a tea print I've not seen before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!