Thursday, April 30, 2009

May/June 2009 Tea Time Magazine


A month or so ago, I was in a store and *almost* bought this neat-looking "brownie pan" with individual squares so your brownies would all have lovely, rounded corners. Tempting though it was, I resisted, thinking, "Now why do I really need that when I can just cut them into squares myself?" Why? I'll tell you why. Have you seen the cover of the new Tea Time? What is featured but White Silk Tartlets made using square tartlet pans, and that brownie pan would have been perfect for these! Sigh.

I'm intrigued that Tea Time's cover calls these tartlets "Our Best Dessert Ever!" That's a pretty bold statement to make for a magazine that's been dishing up all manner of desserts for quite a few years now. These tartlets are made with white chocolate and heavy cream, which sounds yummy, so I'll have to make them and see if I agree.

The most interesting feature in this issue is one that's particularly timely, recipes for a Kentucky Derby Tea. The big race is coming up Saturday, and yesterday our magazine's customer service rep in Kentucky told me everyone is excited and a bit worried about rain on race day. Oh, to be there myself! If you're into the Derby Day festivities, do not miss this issue of Tea Time. There are recipes for Herbed Shrimp on Grits Cakes, Mint Julep Profiteroles served in tiny little silver cups, and my favorite item on this menu, horseshoe-shaped tea sandwiches. Clever!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, now I can't wait for my May/June issue to show up. You may have to go back and buy yourself that pan, Angela. You could use it for a lot of things as well as dessert, such as individual meatloaves.

    Wouldn't it be something to be at the Derby? And I have just the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this will be right up Linda's alley! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so disappointed in the Derby Tea article in this issue of Tea Time magazine. I concluded there was nothing good I could say about the article on my blog so I would best keep my mouth shut. However, since you brought up the subject, it is one of the less authentic teas I's seen them produce in print and photography! And, as you know, my comment today comes from this Kentucky tea lover who spent the day at Churchill Downs yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the typos in my post. I was ranting and should have been proof-reading! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I *love* a good rant, Linda! Since we all look to you as our expert on all things Kentucky, would you tell what you mean by "less authentic teas"? Are there certain things that a "real" Derby tea should (or shouldn't?) have included? Maybe I'm too easily impressed by anything labeled Kentucky Derby! Or was it just the quality of the article you object to? Do share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently served the white silk tartlets at a tea. Oh my goodness; I loved them. They are like, well, silk in your mouth. You must try them. You must. You must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most interesting thing about those tartlets is that they were plagiarized, and the magazine refused to acknowledge letters from b5media, myself, or the lawyers that represent us. You can read about it here. That recipe was created and posted over a year ago. I am verydisappointed in the magazine. http://www.blisstree.com/bakingdelights/when-goliath-steals-from-david/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!