Friday, December 28, 2007

Peppermint Tea & Chocolate Chip Pie


It is the official policy of this blog not to worry about calories and fat and grams of sugar until after Jan. 1, 2008. We will, of course, join the rest of the country in the produce aisle next Wednesday, but for today, we feel it is time to extend the celebration with a few more comfort foods and desserts.

Toward that end, may we say that we have rediscovered the joys of Peppermint Tea this Christmas season? And that we find these teas a most pleasant companion to all manner of sweets? Celestial Seasonings' Peppermint Tea was good, Candy Cane Tea from Adagio is quite yummy, and the Bigelow Peppermint Tea a friend gave me for Christmas is just outstanding. And my latest tea-and-dessert pairing? Peppermint Tea and Chocolate Chip Pie. (The pretty new teacup at back was a Christmas gift.)

This is the quick-and-easy pie I made for my family on Christmas Eve. My niece Madison requested the recipe, so I thought I'd include it here as well. It's great for using up that extra cup of chocolate chips or that extra bit of coconut you've got left from your holiday baking. This is a recipe I was fond of making about 10 years ago, so I was happy to become reacquainted with it this year. Hope you enjoy it!

Chocolate Chip Pie

3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons soft margarine
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain flour
1 (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts)
3/4 cup coconut
1 (9-inch) deep dish pie shell, unbaked

Beat margarine, sugar and vanilla well. Add eggs. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, nuts and coconut. Pour in pie shell and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool, then refrigerate to help pie set. Consistency will be similar to pecan pie.

3 comments:

  1. I've got an extra cup of chocolate chips left from holiday baking. Thanks for sharing the pie recipe. I'll give it a try (sans coconut, my DH doesn't like it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fantastic combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pie sounds delicious! And of course tea is the perfect companion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!