Saturday, June 25, 2016

My Country, 'Tis of Tea — Missouri




When I think of Missouri, I think of Silver Dollar City in Branson, a town I visited on vacation many years ago. So Missouri has an Ozark town that's famous for its many country music performers, but what else?


• One historic event I associate with Missouri is its hosting of the St. Louis World's Fair back in 1904. When I looked on the Library of Congress website, I found this image with the description: "Japan in America — pretty maids in garden before a Japanese tea-house, World's Fair, St. Louis, U.S.A." Did you know that these "world's fair" events are still going on? I thought they were a thing of the past until I looked here and saw that this year's is in Turkey. Who knew?


• When I wrote about my vintage tearoom postcards a couple of years ago, one of the ones I shared was this one from the McDonald Tea Room in Gallatin, Missouri. I had often seen black-and-white postcards of the tea room but never a color one. If you look at the unusual ceiling, you may realize that this tearoom actually began life as a hardware store! This very week, I came across an article about a newer Missouri tearoom in an intriguing space, and it is here. Cheers to Missouri for thinking outside the box with its tearooms!

• I have made a lot of recipes from old tearoom cookbooks over the years, and one of my all-time favorites (and one of the easiest!) comes from a tearoom in Missouri. It's this Quick 'n Easy Pecan Penuche (pronounced "pə-ˈnü-chē") from Barb's Country Tea Room and Yankee Peddlers in Osage Beach, Missouri (recipe is here). I may have to make some more of this fudge-like treat soon, because just thinking about it has me drooling!


4 comments:

  1. I always think of my mom when I hear of penuche candy. She loved it and made it every Christmas. I also love seeing the tearoom in a greenhouse, what a fun idea! Your Saturday posts always delight me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transforming a greenhouse and a hardware store into tea rooms... they do think outside of the box in Missouri, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another state I have not yet visited - interesting tea rooms there. And I have not heard mention of a World's Fair in a long time, I'm glad to know they are still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another informative Saturday. Love the repurposing of the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!