Saturday, April 12, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #15 -- Tick Tock Tea Room (Hollywood, California)

This postcard from the Tick Tock Tea Room in Hollywood was mailed in 1950, and I like that the card shows both the exterior and interior of the tea room. You'll note the clock says "TICK TOCK" above the clock and "GRUEN TIME" beneath. What's Gruen time? Well, Gruen was the name of a watch company in Cincinnati from 1917-1921, so I'm guessing that's it. (If anyone has another theory, I'd love to hear it!)

The best thing about this card, though, is the chatty message on the back. I'm guessing the message actually begins with the words halfway down, and then the words above were scribbled when the sender, Harriet, ran out of room. So here's how I read it: "This is where we ate tonite. Ann, De, Margaret, Violet Carlson (Ted's nurse), & Doris & I. We had a huge turkey dinner. We have had a big day - I was on a television show today KFI-NBC (just local) gobs of fun. De & Ann were on also. I am writing this in Hollywood Bowl waiting for the ballet to start. We are leaving on (Fri.?) on Sun. 5 pm to go to Seattle. Harriet." Wow! That Harriet knew how to write a postcard, didn't she! I imagine Mrs. Lelah A. Sutton of Lincoln, Nebraska was happy to receive it. I love knowing what was eaten at this tea room ("a huge turkey dinner"), and now I want to know who Ted was and why he had a nurse. Also, why were Harriet, De, and Ann on TV? One day, I think I may just sit down and make up some short stories to fill in the blanks about all these great old postcards!

8 comments:

  1. This is a good one! I would want to know the rest of the story too. Fascinating hand writing too, reminded me of my mother's hand writing. And a huge turkey dinner in a tea room too, would love seeing this menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gobs" of fun -- was a common phrase by my mother and her sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name of this tea room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using the postcard as a writing prompt. Maybe when tax season is over I'll give that a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great one. Would love to know the "rest of the story"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You find the NEATEST tea history items, Angela. This one is a total thrill - thanks so much for sharing.

    Glad to be back in the blog world, whew - anyway I may have to just sit for a 24 hour period to catch up, I swear, haha.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun postcard, and I love your commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this postcard and the name of the tea room! Trivia question:

    In the movie "Sleepless in Seattle," didn't Meg Ryan make a stop at 'The Tick Tock' diner in Washington, D.C. - to get some hot tea? I think it was!
    Thanks for your great blog,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!