Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Afternoon Tea" by Tea Time Magazine

When I was in Kentucky last month, one of the books I bought at the Elmwood Inn Fine Teas shop was this new one from Tea Time Magazine, "Afternoon Tea." The book came highly recommended by several of my tea friends, so I knew I would like it, and I just got around to looking through it this week.

Isn't it amazing how reading a cookbook can make you hungry? This one has recipes for scones, savories, and sweets, and it features both full menus (Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.) as well as "a la carte" recipes. I've had lemons on my mind this week, so I wasn't surprised that one of the dessert recipes that caught my eye was for Lemon Buttercream Cakes. I enjoy *seeing* pretty food almost as much as I enjoy *eating* pretty food, so I appreciate that someone took the time to artfully pipe the icing between the layers as well as on top. The primrose garnish is a simple and lovely touch.

My taste buds must have changed over the years, because today savories, not sweets, are my favorite part of afternoon tea. Would you get a gander at this Savory Crab and Corn Cheesecake? Oh. My. Goodness. I love seafood, I love corn, and those chopped peppers and herbs on top must make this simply divine. So just out of curiosity, I'd love to know, what's YOUR favorite part of afternoon tea these days, besides the beverage? Is it the savories, the scones, or the sweets? Oh, and I definitely give a thumbs-up to this great new book for those of you who don't already have it!

16 comments:

  1. Scones are always my favorite ,but a yummy chicken salad or quiche always rank high. Just love your blog. You always feature the neat stuff. A good reason to go shopping for tea wares. Thank You !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the savories best, followed by the scones. Let's face it......I never met a carb I didn't like!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go and look at my "Afternoon Tea" book, it's not from Tea Time as yours is.
    I like small fancy sandwiches and scones the best and for something sweet, would be happy with a plain shortbread biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased this book right after it came off the press. It's lovely! How nice that it's a keepsake of your visit to Elmwood Inn Fine Teas. You can ever have enough tea books! I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite between scones, savories and sweets. For me they each play a key role, and I enjoy all three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could live inside their pages - and calories didn't count!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know if any gluten-free recipes are included? They usually have some in their magazine, so I just wondered! I love the savories more the older I get...LOL And then just a little sweet something after!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this book at the NW Tea Festival and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good one. My favorite part is also the savories, though I like it all, those little sandwiches and tarts just make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to scones these days. My friend Chrissy makes the best scones!
    I also have this book. It is one of my favorite Tea recipe books in my collection.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, I looked back through the book but don't see any recipes that are labeled gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my I do love every part of an Afternoon Tea! The first time I had savory scones I was in heaven! Can I choose only one - I don't think so, but I too love a savory scone! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finding a few minutes to enjoy afternoon tea is my favorite part. I don't usually have time to make any type of sandwich so Cadbury Digestive Biscuits have to do more often than not. I like seeing pretty food too. At least it doesn't stick to my body like the pretty food I sometimes eat does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorites vary, depending on the menu. Though there is always room for something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've become a savory person too. Didn't you say you had an upcoming trip to London and Paris? (I can't remember if it was just to France or to both). If you'll be in London, the Berkeley Hotel does a wonderful pret-a-portea which includes both really creative savories and sandwiches as well as the sweets. It's expensive, but they encourage you to have as much as you'd like so you can get seconds or thirds or more on favorites, and they provide a cute purse-shaped to go box for your leftovers. I chose one of the later times, and it was a filling dinner. It was my splurge for the trip, and absolutely worth it: the setting, the service, the food, and the design touches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty book... I'm not sure it is part of my library! Really enjoy the savories, but love to be wowed by the desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wanting to get that book - isn't it gorgeous?

    Was thinking of making large obnoxious hints to the girls that I hope to get it for Mother's Day!

    My fav part of a proper afternoon tea is scones and either clotted cream (the real kind hopefully) or lemon curd. : - )

    I am usually too full after the savories and scone to eat many of the sweets so usually give them away or save them for later - but extra sweet isn't top of my list as a favorite.

    I daresay those amazing lemon buttercream mini cakes in the book are GORGEOUS - my stuff never looks as pretty, that's for sure! : - )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Angela, this book looks wonderful - I agree with you about savories, I have grown to like them more and more too.

    Thanks for your review, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!