Monday, July 22, 2013

The weekend's fun finds

Feeling the need for a little antiquing over the weekend, I decided to visit a local antique mall, The Bone Yard in Newnan, where my friend Liz recently set up a booth. After almost five years of operating her shop in Senoia, Cydney's Alley, she decided to downsize the business portion of her life yet keep her foot in the retail world with a booth. It's the best of both worlds, I told her, and without the responsibilities of full-time shop ownership! I was in a browsing sort of mood on Saturday so I decided to visit her new booth, which is clever as always, and after browsing hers and all the other great booths in this lovely store, I left The Bone Yard with several new treats I absolutely love.

This tiny little 2-inch teacup looks sort of like a rustic concrete planter, and at first I thought these succulents were plastic but they're not. When I saw the instructions to "water sparingly," I knew this was coming home with me!

This large wire teacup planter caught my fancy as well. This will be home to either one of my larger African violets or a rooting off my camellia sinensis plant, I haven't decided which just yet. ("Oh, you must like teacups!" said the nice lady who rang me up. I just nodded. She has no idea!)

And last but not least, this hat. Oh, how I love my new $10 hat! Those of you who have my department store tea room book "Dainty Dining" may not have even noticed, but on its pink cover there is a pink and green floral hat in the background, just behind the plate of tea room food. Well, as I've been working on a follow-up book of department store tea room recipes, "Dainty Desserts," I have been desperately searching for a vintage hat with blue and aqua flowers on it to use in the same manner on the new cover. I'd gotten to the point where I was prepared to pay any amount, however ridiculous, as long as the hat had the right colors and the right "feel" to it. I found a few maybe's I was watching on eBay, but nothing ever really screamed "This is the one" — until now! Can't you just picture one of the tea room ladies of yesteryear enjoying tea while wearing this hat? I sure can, and I'm thrilled to be one step closer to having the perfect cover for a new book!

11 comments:

  1. What great teacup planter finds, and I'm so happy you found a hat in the right colors suitable for your new book cover. Dainty Dining just happened to be sitting on my desk, so I took a glance at the pink floral hat on its cover. Can't wait for your second book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a booth in some antique mall in my forward future - probably Columbia, Mo. I think it would be fun to work in one too maybe a couple days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great teacup finds, perfect outer containers.
    The new hat will look nice on the cover of your next book.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the hat! Oh, how I wish I had kept my grandmother's hats. I was too young when she died to think that I'd ever want them. Oh, well...anyway, this one was a great find. As were the teacup planters. "Water sparingly" would work for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little planter is lovely - it almost looks like stone! Fun items all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hat is perfect for your cover photo. Love it! How fun to browse and find tea treasures. I need to do this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be a lovely hat for your cover! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little planter is too cute! I'm glad you found the hat you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently found a pair of white gloves with a pearl button at the wrist. I display the gloves with your
    book! Wish we could return to those
    dainty days !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were great finds, especially the hat. I'm looking forward to Dainty Desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that tissue box holder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!