Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #30 - Waioli Tea Room (Honolulu, Hawaii)

I hadn't made a good old tea bread in a while, so this week a recipe I found in a 1974 tea room cookbook sounded awfully good, this Mango Bread.

The cookbook is the "Waioli Cook Book II," compiled by the Salvation Army Women's Auxiliary of Honolulu and the Waioli Tea Room Restaurant. Still in business today, this tea room was built in 1922 and is on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. There are at least three different volumes of this cookbook I've seen, and I plan to add volumes I and III to my collection as well. Since the recipes were from Hawaii, I knew I wanted to make something with a bit of a tropical flavor to it.

This Mango Bread with fresh mango and shredded coconut was super easy to make and very, very moist. I also enjoyed eating the fresh mango that was left over, and if you're a mango fan as well, give this a try!

Mango Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups fresh mango, chopped fine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil*
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup melted shortening*
3 eggs

(Note: I wanted to reduce the oil content in this recipe, so I used just 1/4 cup each of the oil and shortening and added 1/2 cup applesauce, my new favorite substitution in these kinds of recipes.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, add dry ingredients and stir. Make a well, add remaining ingredients and combine. Divide batter in loaf pans and bake for 1 hour or until firm to the touch. Yields 2 loaves of tea bread.

12 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks yummy and does have a tropical flair.
    I've been substituting the full amount of applesauce for oil is some recipes and it turns out pretty good.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh does this sound good. As soon as I saw the picture I knew it would be one I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    As a big fan of anything mango, I can't wait to try out your recipe. Thanks for including your substitution tips!

    Janet P.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy - thanks for this recipe - it's looks like chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Angela, this looks delicious! Glad you made the substitutions and thanks for sharing the recipe. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed! I wouldn't think of a Hawaiian cook book or tea room. That bread looks so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed! I wouldn't think of a Hawaiian cook book or tea room. That bread looks so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm...sounds deliciously tropical! I'm enjoying your Saturday Tea Room recipe series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this tea bread, YUMMY! I hate to read about all the adjustments to recipies, but I had to improvise myself. No raisens, so I added a little more nuts, (pecans) and mango. I also used Splenda white and brown sugars.
    I baked the loaves for 55 minutes and perfection!
    Thank you, am new to blogs, but I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was onolious!! I used mac nuts and added extra mac nuts and toasted coconut to sub for raisins Also used 1/2c butter and 1/2c applesauce instead of oil and shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best sweet bread recipe! I made it yesterday and it’s delicious! Very moist and flavorful. I used frozen mangos, that I had bought last summer. I ended up in the hospital for a week, so I had my friend put them bags and freeze them. I thawed them in the refrigerator then peeled and cut them. I was afraid a recipe wouldn’t turn out as the mangos were kinda mushy. But it turned out perfect! I used dark brown sugar, mangos, flaked coconut,and craisins. This recipe is a Keeper, thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!