Saturday, July 6, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #27 - Miss Aimee B's Tea Room (St. Charles, Missouri)

Every now and then I want a decadent, ultra rich chocolate dessert, and this Toll House Pie recipe very much appealed to me when I came across it in one of my tea room cookbooks. Toll House Cookies I've made before, but Toll House Pie? Sounded worth a try!

The cookbook is titled "Miss Aimee B's Tea Room & The Upstairs Market Place Cookbook of Divine Cuisine." I am happy to report that this tea room in St. Charles, Mo. is still in business. It's located in a historic home that was bequeathed to the local historical society, and you can read more about the tea room here.

The resulting pie was just as rich as I hoped it would be, so rich, in fact, that a small, 1-inch slice was all I wanted. The rest will go into the freezer for when a) company comes or b) a chocolate attack strikes, whichever happens first. And because I used a graham cracker crust rather than the standard pie crust, it rather reminded me of those seven-layer cookie bars, only much quicker to whip up!

Toll House Pie

2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup margarine, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pie shell (I used a graham cracker crust because I like those better)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat eggs until foamy, then add flour and sugars and combine well. Add melted better and stir. Add chocolate chips and pecans and combine well. Pour into pie shell and bake for about 1 hour, just until set.

8 comments:

  1. Love the plate the pie is on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds decadent Angela and not the type of pie for a gal on a diet. Of course what pie would be good for a diet. :-(
    I made a pecan pie for company a few weeks ago and the pecans cost me close to $10 for it, not a cheap pie to make.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at Miss Aimee B's website earlier this week as my mom, sister and I are considering St. Charles as the destination for our girls' trip this year. Looks like a great place to have tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, sounds delish!

    That is a neat teahouse.

    You sure do find 'em, Angela!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! I will have to try it very soon. Check out Bath and Body Works 3 wick candle 'London Calling', it is tea with lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked not too far from St. Charles in my early career. It's a lovely town and the start of the Lewis-Clark trail. A great museum on that! A great weekend trip for folks in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, Angela! So glad to hear they are still in business. Missouri is such a great state too - thanks for the recipe. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one looks like fun! Chocolate, oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!