Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Red Cross Tea Room from 1915

With the disasters in New York, New Jersey and elsewhere in the northeast last week, the American Red Cross was once again called upon to help provide disaster relief. The American Red Cross has been around since 1881, and this postcard from Zurich, Switzerland shares what some American Red Cross volunteers were doing in 1915. "Teestube" is the German word for "tearoom," and the whole phrase at the bottom of the postcard translates, "tearoom in favor of the Red Cross, Zurich, Bahnhofstrasse."

"Dear Laura, Many thanks for your letter. I'll answer it right away, really I will be better than I have been. This is a picture of "our" tea room. Another girl and I have opened it to help the Red Cross. It's going beautifully & we are making lots of money. Plus I'm learning skiing too which is a wonderful sport. Love, Bess."

Here's the card as addressed to Miss Laura River/Riner/Ruines (your guess is as good as mine!) of "Hillside" in Kingston, New York. I know the Brits have some charity-supporting tea rooms today, and I must say I love the idea!

8 comments:

  1. While enjoying a church bazaar luncheon on the weekend (meat pie with veggies) my friend and I were commenting on how many of the fancy teas have gone by the wayside. In this rural area the trend seems to be soup and hearty looking sandwiches, nothing dainty. Only one is holding out with an upcoming Victorian tea of scones and squares.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little treasure... such a piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for shareing that Angela. A fabulous...and very timely...reminder of the past. Sigh...I would have loved to visit the tearoom!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Red Cross has done so much for so many over the years. What a great vintage postcard to add to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article today Angela, I would have loved to go to this tea room. I also love seeing the old post cards, they are so neat. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!