Friday, September 27, 2019

Penelope Barker and her protesting friends

This is the political cartoon that appeared in the London press following the 1773 proclamation by Penelope Barker and the Edenton ladies that they would no longer "conform to ye pernicious Custom of Drinking Tea." The ladies were clearly being mocked for their stance, and I find that interesting. Women in this country recently observed the one hundredth anniversary of gaining the right to vote, yet women are still sometimes mocked for their political actions. I can remember not too many years ago when a local politician criticized his female opponent in a race by saying she ought to stay home and take care of her children instead of running for office. (Are you surprised to hear that he was soundly defeated?)

When Susan, my new tea friend in North Carolina, sent me those articles on Penelope Barker recently, she also included a list of the names of those other ladies who signed the document, and I eagerly scanned it, hoping to see a name from my own family tree, but alas, it wasn't there. But maybe yours is? If you visit the Edenton Historical Commission site here and scroll about a third of the way down, you'll see the article with the list of the ladies' names.

I already have more Edenton/Penelope books ordered since I am quite fascinated by the Edenton Tea Party, so expect more news about Penelope and friends as I find it. And I'm happy to know that this teapot (pictured on one of my own vintage linen postcards) stands in Edenton today as a tribute to the ladies of the Edenton Tea Party!

2 comments:

  1. At least the London press thought the Edenton ladies were important enough to have a cartoon about them! I'll have to visit the Barker house with my sister, who lives in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! I will look forward to more about Penelope.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!