Monday, February 17, 2020

Tea and George Washington

Since it's Presidents Day, I thought you might enjoy a little tidbit I learned about our nation's first president when I was reading the book Twinings: Two Hundred and Fifty Years of Tea and Coffee by Stephen H. Twining, M.B.E. (1956, R. Twining & Co. Ltd.).

In 1796, President George Washington was paid a visit by Thomas Twining (this Thomas was a son of Richard Twining I, not the original founder). Twining tells of calling on "General Washington" and being greeted by Mrs. Washington: "She sat down on the sofa, and invited me to sit by her. I spoke of the pleasant days I had passed at Washington ... While engaged in this conversation, but with my thoughts turned to the expected arrival of the General, the door opened, and Mrs. Washington and myself rising, she said, 'The President,' and introduced me to him. Never did I feel more interest than at this moment, when I saw the tall, upright, venerable figure of this great man advancing towards me to take me by the hand. There was a seriousness in his manner which seemed to contribute to the impressive dignity of his person ... There are persons in whose appearance one looks in vain for the qualities they are known to possess, but the appearance of General Washington harmonized in a singular manner with the dignity and modesty of his public life."

Can you guess what Twining said was his one regret of the meeting? Washington invited Twining to take tea with him that evening, but because of another engagement, Twining declined.

So our first president invited a Twining to tea, and I thought that was a fun fact to share here on Presidents Day. Hope yours is a good one!

7 comments:

  1. What a fun post to read on Presidents Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First timer here :) Found your Blog through Pinterest! Enjoyed this fun fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fun fact. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great story! I'm especially glad to hear it, since I've never read about it before. I do like to learn about George Washington, and I am a frequent visitor to his estate, Mount Vernon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this...so glad you shared! Hope you have been watching WASHINGTON on the History Channel the past two nights...it is a mini-series that finishes tomorrow night. It has been so interesting!
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!