Monday, July 21, 2014

How to shop for a new tea mug — and more!

So I was in England in May when I came across a display of some lovely but pricey tea mugs embossed with the name of one of the potteries. I wanted one, yes, but souvenir space was already at a premium so I resisted. When I saw a similar tea mug at T.J. Maxx on Saturday, however, I did not resist, as this one was just $2.99 and I had no shortage of storage space on the way home. The curious thing, though, is that this short (3-1/8-inch tall) mug does not in fact hold 10 ounces of tea. I measured when I got home and found this mug *comfortably* holds just 8 ounces. Do you suppose someone figured that out about the mugs and that's why these ended up at T.J. Maxx here in the U.S.?

Still, I like my new little tea mug just fine, especially knowing it came from James Sadler! I also like that it features artwork of the potteries, which I learned more about in this book I reviewed earlier this year, the cover of which shows the old bottle-shaped kilns used to make teawares.

My other fun finds from the weekend's shopping with Aunt Jane included this 14-1/2 x 12-1/2-inch pansy teapot print. Just $4.94 at Goodwill. Not sure where I'll use it, but I have a firm policy of No Teapot Print Left Behind.

Aunt Jane has taught me to look for the color-coded stickers and tags at Goodwill, noting that the featured color is half off. I didn't realize until this weekend that the discount applies to books as well, and I found two $1.25 bargains that I love for different reasons. First, I'm already a Helen Corbitt fan, as the legendary cook was once in charge of the restaurants and tea room at Neiman Marcus in Dallas. I have a few of her other books but not this one from 1974, "Helen Corbitt Cooks for Company," and I was delighted to find a chapter on weddings, receptions and teas. "I have had tea every afternoon of my life since I was old enough to have 'cambric tea'; tea is a great pick-me-up," she says. (I knew I liked this woman!) The other book is the 2000 edition of "Delia Smith's Christmas," featuring Christmas recipes from a popular British cook, but really I got this book because of what was hiding inside. If you look at right, you'll see a snippet of a Christmas letter from a British couple who gave this book to some friends. The writer in me realized instantly it would be great fun to read this long, rambledy Christmas letter tucked inside the book. When I got home and Googled the first names of the couple and the place where they lived and worked, I learned they are still alive and even saw a photo of them. Yes, I'm nosy, but I'm also amazed at how easy it is to find out about anyone these days. (I'm not planning to do anything unscrupulous with this information, by the way. The couple might be inspiration for some characters in a novel one day, that's all.)

Last but not least, at Salvation Army I found this 50-cent creamer that is in the same pattern as the dishes my family had when I was a girl. It isn't marked, but a little online research revealed this is Homer Laughlin's Brittany Majestic pattern. Maybe this pattern can be my new "casual collectible," the sort of thing I can pick up when and if I see it at a good price. Like 50 cents!

14 comments:

  1. What great finds! You may be right about the 8 oz size landing those mugs at TJMaxx, but if that's what made it available and affordable, it' said good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autocorrect again! It's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new finds! Love your 'no teapot print left behind' policy - it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very successful shopping! Love everything you found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great shopping trip! I would have made the same purchases. The letter is fun.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another shopping trip filled with budget treasures! I need you and Aunt Jane in California! On my way to find the mug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little creamer was the same pattern as my grandmother's "every day" china. It brought back some nice memories. I inherited her good china - Noritake Christmas Ball. I treasure them both. Love the letter you found. What fun!
    Cheers! Lady B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to tell you this story. Many years ago I bought a wall clock made up of two square tiles, set one above the other in a wood frame, with Roman numerals clock on one tile the other was an English country scene. It was quote cheap all made in England.

    Move on many years, I'm sitting looking at the clock and realize that the numerals for #9 have been transposed, XI instead of IX.

    Kind of like your story with the mug.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love all your great bargain finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the creamer and how fun to find that mug at such a good price. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must get to Goodwill soon! Great items - love your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a sucessful shopping day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, you found some amazing treasures, my sweet friend!

    It's so funny about that Christmas letter - isn't it odd to find those personal kinds of things in books? I have a few times too and it feels like spying, haha.

    I am so sorry I ahve been done so long- hope to catch up on back posts blog reading soon.

    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great finds, Angela! You have such a good eye for finding the treasures, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!