Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A puzzling purchase

A friend of mine used to say, "You win some, you lose some, some get rained out." This is one of those eBay purchases that got "rained out." Only when this pretty blue and white cup and saucer arrived in the mail did I realize the cup is quite small, just 2 inches tall, 3-1/4 inches in diameter, and holding just 4 ounces of tea. (A standard teacup holds 6 ounces at my house.) If I'd paid attention to the seller's description I would have known that. But since I paid under $10 for this set, including shipping, I'll not whine too long because it has given me a number of interesting things to investigate.

I'm not sure I've seen a Blue Willow-ish teacup with a design in the bottom of the cup before. It's interesting, but it's a rather fuzzy image.

When I compared the floral border on the teacup and the saucer, I found the border image on the teacup, shown here, is also a bit fuzzy …

While the border on the saucer is distinct and clear. Do you find that odd? I do.

This is the central design of the saucer, and it's clear as can be. I'm such a nitpicker, I noted the two yellowish dots on this saucer and tried to clean them, but they are apparently part of the glaze. I've never seen that particular issue before.

I do think the handle on this set is pretty, even if the teacup is too small for me to actually use it for sipping tea.

In fact, the cup is so small it slides around a bit in the saucer's indentation. Is it possible this is what they call a "married" set, where the cup and saucer aren't truly a set?

I'm also intrigued this messy backstamp comes from Wedgwood, and it's even stamped right into the pottery itself. I still like the design of this set and may end up using it for a tiny planter, but the irregularities sure have me pondering the origins of this new teacup and saucer. I'd welcome any comments you may have on its parentage!

11 comments:

  1. Do you think it is a "demi tasse" set? I inherited all of my mother's and was told they were for espresso. I am not sure espresso was all that popular in rural Maine in the 30s, though. I'll bet she collected them because they look like children's tea ware. I will get mine out an photograph them. I have one that is "flo blue" but I am sure it does not have the Wedgwood stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions, I can"t really help with the answers, though. It might be a good size for a young visitor to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, you could use it to decorate your tea cup Christmas tree.
    Shari in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another possible use is to use it on your tea table for a condiment - lemon curd, jam, or Devonshire cream. It's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sell some Blue Willow from china and often the different pieces come in with great variations of the colors. It annoys me. I think it is just poor quality control. Yours however are English and old and I think just from a different "lots". I think maybe child sized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting cup and saucer, especially the back stamp. I agree, you win some and lose some with Ebay purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I love most about antiques is that they are aren't perfect. Any modern teacup will perfectly made by a machine so all of those little imperfections tell a story. I prefer mine to be on the small side like this but it could be a good choice for a younger tea guest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean. A trusted antique dealer sold me what I thought was an American Beauty set. When I got it home, I discovered the saucer was AB but the cup itself was another pattern. I was quite disappointed for I had been searching for the AB set. I did not however mention it to the seller. I chose to keep quiet rather than make a scene over it. So, I'm still on the look out for American Beauty.
    Your set is pretty and perhaps it is a demi-tasse. I would probably use it for lemon curd, jam, or clotted cream at tea time. Have a wonderful 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It could very well be a "married set". That ring in the saucer is so much bigger than the bottom of the cup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would guess it isn't really a match made in heaven, but put together by some one maybe that sold it to you. Like Phyllis's idea or yes for a young visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cup and the saucer have the same mark? If the saucer is large enough for a normal tea cup, I would definitely say you have a married set from the same pattern. A tea cup saucer and a demitasse cup. Less than $10 makes a good display!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!