Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The new issue of Daphne's Diary

Does your brain ever need a break? Mine does. I have been a very busy girl over the past few months. I have edited everything from novels and self-help books to children's books and a cookbook. I have written reviews of all kinds of books and said sure when asked if I would consider reviewing even more. I researched and wrote an essay for a historic institute in Washington, D.C., and all at the same time, I wrote and wrote and wrote and finally hit the magical 75,000-word mark on my own first novel, a "cozy" about a jewelry designer who solves mysteries in her spare time. I think I deserve a little down time, and oddly enough, even though I am playing with words nearly every waking minute of the day, my favorite way to relax is still with a new book or magazine. Happily for me, the new issue of Daphne's Diary (which I first discovered here) landed at my local Barnes & Noble last week. Ahhh ... reading purely for pleasure!

It is so lovely to sit back and relax with a cup of you-know-what and thumb through the pages of this oversized magazine which started in the Netherlands but now has an English-language version. The cover has so many details, you really must stop to take them all in. Note the little tags along the bottom, including the one at far left with the teacup on it. What an elegant touch!

Daphne's Diary is really unique among magazines in that it's just this great and wonderful hodgepodge of articles on this and that, everything from decorating and gardening to antiquing and cooking. This pretty pedestal displaying cupcakes? There's no recipe. There are no words, in fact. It's purely eye candy, and I love that. There are also stickers, designer papers, a paperdoll craft … you just never know what wonderful gifts are waiting within the pages.

The quote above this teacup says, "Pick up the phone and invite someone round for a cup of tea today. Just because. Be spontaneous, you'll enjoy it!" I think that's fine advice, and as a matter of fact, I have plans to join some friends for tea later today — another of my favorite ways to relax and regroup!

12 comments:

  1. My goodness but you have been busy. I find a 1,000 word article about does me in and look what you have accomplished with your book!
    The magazine looks like a fun and easy read with a nice selection of photos and text.
    I'm looking forward to lots of photos from you and the other tea bloggers during your visit together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks quirky and fun - caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, that flew away there. You have sure accomplished a great deal and congratulations are in order here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen this in Barnes and Noble, but love what I am seeing here. You know I am a magazine/book addict too, so now I will be on the look out. It looks beautiful. I think you mentioned this one some time back and I forgot to look, but now I will.
    Good for you for all you do, some day I will say "I knew her when".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have been really busy! But I can understand unwinding with reading material that YOU choose, not that you "have" to read. And that magazine looks like just the thing. Joining friends for tea sounds like a good plan, too - enjoy your day! (And I'm looking forward to reading your novel one of these days.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that and you still have time for us, your tea friends, a huge thank you for treating us each day with interesting posts! I cannot wait for your novel - sounds wonderful. I hope you had a lovely teatime today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy. Enjoy your magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this magazine with us. I rushed out to my Barnes &Noble store today to buy a copy. Been devouring it on and off all day, savouring each page. How absolutely lovely it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this magazine with us. I rushed out to my Barnes &Noble store today to buy a copy. Been devouring it on and off all day, savouring each page. How absolutely lovely it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing this magazine with us. I rushed out to my Barnes &Noble store today to buy a copy. Been devouring it on and off all day, savouring each page. How absolutely lovely it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This magazine looks like something I'd like. I am going to look for it.

    By the way, I picked up the Flea Market magazine you mentioned, it's great! Lots of good ideas.
    Thank you for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooo I must look for this! I love when others share great finds and you are a treasure trove of great finds! Thank you!
    ~Donna~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!