Friday, March 28, 2014

A taste of Kentucky

This week I've tried to share a little taste of my trip to Kentucky last week, so today I thought I'd end by sharing a *literal* taste of Kentucky, this Kentucky Chocolate Pie I made using a recipe in the souvenir cookbook I bought.

I love how the cover of "Bluegrass Winners" shows the multicolored jockey shirts, and I couldn't help noticing the blue matches my new "TEA" mug, one of the gifts Linda had waiting in the lovely blue gift bags she had put together for the Traveling Tea Friends last week. I cannot imagine a more perfect memento of our time together!

And the pie … oh my! Now this is from the cookbook Linda suggested when I asked for a recommendation at one of the shops, and I can see why. It was originally published by the Garden Club of Lexington in 1985 and is now in its ninth printing!

This pie was very quick and easy to make and is so good and chocolatey, kind of like a pecan pie and a chocolate pie combined. Here's how I made mine.

Kentucky Chocolate Pie

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup margarine, melted (I used butter)
1 cup pecans, chopped
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used the mini ones)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 unbaked 9" pie shell (regular, not deep-dish)
1 cup cream, whipped (I cheated and used fat-free Reddi-wip; don't judge)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine sugar and flour, then add remaining ingredients except the whipped cream. Pour into pie shell and bake for 50-60 minutes. Top with whipped cream if desired.

15 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed your posts about your trip to Kentucky. The photos were lovely; make me wish I could have come along! The pie looks delicious.....a great way to end your week of posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect ending to your Kentucky visit blog series! The Kerns company trademarked the name Derby Pie. Boone Tavern calls it Race Day Pie. Aunt Mary called her version Chocolate Chip Pie. Whatever the name, it is delicious!
    It was my great pleasure to host you and other tea friends in Kentucky last week. I hope your "taste of Kentucky" was just enough to make you want to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made pecan pie many times but I'm definitely going to try this chocolate version.
    The blue and white tea mug is very nice, Linda made a good selection for the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie looks delicious and decadent! I can hardly wait to sit down with my cookbook and a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks yummy and I really like your photo styling. I'm also looking forward to trying some of the recipes in the book. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mug, and oooh, does that look good! And not too hard to make, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how truly yummalicious!

    Love the mugs- how sweet...and thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Can't wait to try it soon.

    Have a wonderful weekend. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I must make this pie. I even have all the ingredients. Oh my! What a lovely trip you had and pecan pie is the best finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this as "Derby Pie" and oh my it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! My husband will love this one! Love those blue&white mug too!
    ~Donna~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate and we are there! Thanks for sharing recipe and also your wonderful Kentucky memories! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty mug! The Kentucky Chocolate Pie looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe Angela - I've enjoyed reading about your trip to Kentucky. I plan to visit a few of the places that you spotlighted. Thanks so much,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I've seen this pie also called a Derby Pie (or that's what a neighbor growing up called her version). Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I've enjoyed reading the posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!