Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"Tastefully Small Finger Sandwiches" by Kim Hendrickson

I just got around to reading a book I found on eBay back before Christmas, "Tastefully Small Finger Sandwiches" by Kim Hendrickson (2008). I haven't really come across any "tea sandwich inspiration" in a while and thought this might do the trick. I was happy to find so many new recipes for sandwiches such as Cucumber Apricot Flowers, Tea-Smoked Egg Diamonds, Avocado Pine Nut Layers, and Grape, Brie, and Walnut Cups.

You may have noticed that each recipe listed above also references a shape (flowers, diamonds, layers, cups), so the delightful surprise to me was that so many uniquely-shaped finger sandwiches are illustrated in either a photograph (such as these Jam 'n Sponge Crosses) or …

… a graphic, such as this Stained Glass Sandwich, which features four different colors of bread. "For other arrangements, consult a quilting pattern book," Hendrickson says. Now why didn't I think of that? I love coming across books that inspire you to come up with new ideas, and this one does precisely that!

8 comments:

  1. That does look like an interesting tea sandwich book. I like the idea of using quilt patterns for inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Were there plenty of veggie options? I'm considering this as a gift for a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book with a gray cover. This post has inspired me to pull it out and take another look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great source of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think finger sandwiches can be made quite fancy for a special luncheon and I see some good ideas on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew this book existed, but have never purchased one. Maybe I should add it to my list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What clever tea sandwich ideas from a quilt book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were fortunate to welcome Kim Hendrickson to the tea room early last year for a cooking demo. Fun to see here book shared here, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!