Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #23 - The Rose Cottage (Clear Lake, Iowa)

Have you ever made muffins with cream cheese? Doesn't seem that exotic an idea, really, but I had never baked muffins with cream cheese in the batter, so this Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffin recipe struck me as a mighty fine idea!

The recipe comes from one of my recent eBay finds, this charming little spiral cookbook from The Rose Cottage, a garden-themed tea room and gift shop in Clear Lake, Iowa. The book also includes photos of the proprietress and her family and friends. I always love it when folks are thoughtful enough to thank all of those who helped make their success possible.

These muffins were incredibly moist and delicious, with a sponge-cake sort of texture. I liked them a lot and may start incorporating cream cheese into some of my other favorite muffin recipes now!

Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (I used frozen)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional (I did not add the nuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and combine. Add cranberries (and walnuts, if desired). Spoon batter into greased muffins tins, or line tins with paper baking cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Yields 18 muffins.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Angela ! Another wonderful recipe. I sometimes add cream cheese to muffins and scones. I have also used clotted cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good. I love cranberries. I will have to try them. Thanks for taste testing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so moist and tasty... wish I could pluck one from the computer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of this tea room from a lady who lives in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and I love cranberries. We have a well known Canadian cranberry bog north of us and they have their own cookbook full of cranberry recipes. I'll have to see if they have something comparable in my book but in the mean time I'll add yours to my muffin collection.
    Thank you!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Angela- just added that recipe to my "brunch" file.

    I have never put cream cheese in a muffin recipe either, but can imagine it was so tasty and moist!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good. I've never used cream cheese in a muffin recipe either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look just delicious! How about raspberries or strawberries in this recipe? I am going to try it this Sunday for brunch. Thanks for sharing and I love the cover of the Cookbook.

    Have a happy day,
    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Angela, this recipe looks so good. I love the cover of the book too, so pretty. Looks like a recipe to try, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great Saturday Tea Room recipe! Hard to believe you're on week 23 already. I don't recall ever adding cream cheese to any of my muffin recipes, but yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummm! This does look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!