Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tea-infused Cantaloupe

The new issue of Martha Stewart Living has a recipe for Tea-Scented Melon, a mixture of summer fruits infused with tea, honey and mint. I liked the idea but not the particular ingredients in the recipe. So I made up my own concoction to go over cantaloupe and oh my goodness, is this ever a wonderful new use for tea!

First, I got a package of pre-sliced cantaloupe at the grocery store. The package I got was a pound and a half, but I don't think this "recipe" has to be very exact. I brewed about two cups of hot tea using two Ginger Peach teabags, to which I added a tablespoon of honey. I placed the cantaloupe in a large bowl. After the tea had steeped for several minutes and cooled a bit, I poured the tea over the cantaloupe and added a handful of fresh mint leaves before putting the bowl in the refrigerator to chill for a couple of hours.

The honey (Tea Honey from a friend) and mint, combined with the spicy taste of the Ginger Peach tea, really turn simple cantaloupe slices into something special. My husband liked it too, and I would not hesitate to serve this to friends as a simple summer dessert!

11 comments:

Heidi said...

What a wonderful idea! Something I'll definitely have to try.

jemilyea said...

You have such a talent for finding (and creating) good recipes. Yesterday I used your recipe for blueberry/peach/Earl Grey cobbler. It's delicious!

ChaChaneen said...

I NEVER would have thought of that - people are so clever!

Rosemary said...

Oh! Looks delicious! Will have to try this! I do something similar with mint, pineapple, and orange juice ~ here's a link to our blog post.
http://therosemaryhouse.blogspot.com/2008/05/minted-pineapple.html

Thanks, Angela!
Nancy

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

wow, I need to try this. I recently stumbled upon a cantaloupe bisque for summer it looks like a yummy cold soup recipe which I have been "into" lately. Thanks for this idea!

Marilyn said...

Sounds really good and the funny thing is I was thinking about playing around with a recipe like this. I thought it would be good for a picnic.

Beth Rang said...

I'd seen the Martha Stewart recipe too and liked the idea but wasn't keen on her choices. Yours sounds yummy. Thanks!

SOUTHERN TOUCH CATERING, INC. said...

Boy does this sound refreshing!

Ginger said...

Interesting idea. I would have never thought to try this on my own.

Anonymous said...

Love this idea, will have to try this out. Sounds so refreshing & cool, Joanie

my cup of tea said...

I love this idea!!! Can't wait to try it! Wonder how it would work with watermelon? Thanks for sharing!
~Donna~