Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tea and Books Saturday #44 - "Tea Time with God"


Tea Time With God
Honor Books, 1998

It was wonderful timing that I happened to rediscover this book just in time for this week's reading. With a magazine deadline just finished, lots of social commitments and an upcoming trip, I felt I was really burning the candle at both ends trying to get everything done. I'm almost there, and what a pleasure it was to enjoy some "Tea Time With God: Heartwarming Insights to Refresh Your Spirit."

These devotionals are very short, just a few paragraphs each, yet I was surprised at some of the truths they revealed. Many of the topics dealt with friends, or with slowing down to savor life. My favorite, I think, was the sweet story of a doctoral student who spent a year on a Navajo Indian reservation. She became part of the family and, though the grandmother in the family didn't speak English, she and the student tried to learn phrases in each other's language. When the student's year was up, as she was leaving the grandmother looked her in the eye and said "I like me best when I'm with you." Isn't that lovely? The book goes on to say, "Good friends are the ones around whom we 'like ourselves best' because they have a way of bringing out the best in us. Jesus is that kind of Friend to us." I so agree!

Several of the devotionals concerned ways those of us in an office environment can take a mental break or "tea break" during the afternoon to help us wind down from a stressful day. Some of the titles are "Halt!," "Downshifting" and "The 'Off' Switch," just to give you an idea of what's in store. This book was a gift from a friend many years ago, and I'm sorry I didn't take advantage of its advice before now!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great devotional book. I loved that wise Navajo grandmother - her observation was right on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful devotional. I just love reading these, especially as I am getting ready in the morning. You might also enjoy an inspirational memoir out by Linda Lambert Pestana called, "Voices of the Heart." Linda's story is amazing and empowers you to find inner strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this review some time ago and I wanted to let you know that it was one of the influences on the post on my tea blog today: Tea Bags: Spiritually Disconnecting You From Your Tea. =) It's gone in a different direction from this post but I think there may be some common ground...there's something about the taking of time to pause that gets you into that spiritual realm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea to read tea books! I have a few and they are often encouraging and sweet. I like your blog. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!