I don't volunteer a lot because I'm still working pretty much full-time, but I do serve on the local Public Safety Foundation, and it is an honor to help support our local law enforcement officers. We use the funds we raise to buy things like protective vests and drones and special equipment that our LEOs don't have monies for. So it is great fun for me to serve at the annual Public Safety Luncheon like the one we had at our fairgrounds yesterday. Here are the folks running the serving line, which featured a delicious meal of pork loin, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, and rolls. (That's our former police chief, now retired, on the end. He didn't let a recent surgery keep him from serving!)
My friend Pat is the CEO of our group, and it takes a heap of work to bring this luncheon to pass each year. My hat is off to her!
Our sheriff, at left, who gave the invocation, and Newnan's mayor were among those on hand. (The mayor is new, and I don't know him, but I did know his late mother, who taught me my first card-making class years ago. Small world!)
Here's the tea station, and I meant to ask what brand of sweet tea they make, because it is delicious, but I forgot to ask.
And my job? I help serve at the dessert table, if you can believe it! As usual, we had dozens of homemade desserts this year, ranging from about six different kinds of banana pudding to pound cakes, chocolate pound cakes, German chocolate cakes, a coconut cake, pecan pies, a key lime cake with cream cheese icing, an apple spice cake, pumpkin rolls, several varieties of brownies, layered cookie bars, cobblers, dump cakes, an upside-down pineapple bundt cake (that was a new one on me), and several strawberry cakes. Every year, we servers try to figure out what will be the biggest hit with law enforcement. This year, it was the banana puddings. One year, everybody was into lemon-flavored desserts. What would you have chosen?




%20(1).jpg)
What a feast, and what a great cause ! I’d have chosen the key lime cake - or the chocolate pound cake - or maybe some banana pudding. I’m sure it was hard to o decide and there were no wrong choices!
ReplyDeleteJoy, key lime cake was my top choice, too, but unfortunately for me, it all got gone before I could get a piece!
Delete