Monday, October 5, 2026

The very happy camellia sinensis


Some sixteen years ago now, I met up with a fellow tea lover from North Carolina, Lynn, who was visiting Atlanta. We'd corresponded by email but had never met in person. On that visit, Lynn gifted me with my very own camellia sinensis, the tea plant, which I promptly planted in what I loftily called my "tea garden." The plant has been thriving on neglect ever since.


And I mean that literally! I babied it at first, and definitely should have cut it back over the years, but it's now probably twelve feet tall—and I'm still just thrilled it's there. Lynn sent me a photo of her plant in bloom last week, which reminded me to go check on mine, and it was covered in blooms as well!


Some of the blossoms had ants wandering the petals (I read that this is probably because there are some aphids nearby), and it's suggested that a mixture of water with a little Dawn dish soap in it can be sprayed on them to help get rid of the pests. I'm going to give it a try. Maybe I'll get brave next spring and even cut my plant back. Meanwhile, if you live nearby and want a cutting sometime, just let me know. I'm not sure I've ever had a plant make it sixteen years before!

4 comments:

  1. The flowers are beautiful! What else grows in your tea garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very cute flowers on your camellia sinensis! Congratulations on your long-lived tea plant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty. I didn't realize it would get so tall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!