Friday, July 5, 2019

William Penn's Tea Service

My husband has been ghostwriting a book for a client in Pennsylvania, and I've been reading parts of it over the past few days and enjoy learning more about the state. So perhaps it's no surprise that in my latest check of photos on the Library of Congress website, I was drawn to a photo of the silver tea service that belonged to William Penn, founder of the Province of Pennsylvania.


The Library of Congress doesn't have much to say about this stereograph photo, except that it was created between 1850 and 1900.

A similar image is available on the J. Paul Getty Museum's website, and it appears this tea service is now in the collection of the museum in LA, although it's not currently on exhibit. When I visit a museum, I always look for tea wares, and in my travels, I would dearly love to come across a tea service that was used by such an important figure in American history. Wouldn't you?

1 comment:

  1. That's a very interesting photo of William Penn's tea service! I do always look for tea items in museums. The National Gallery of Art (where I volunteer) has a beautiful silver teapot made by Paul Revere! It also has several elegant wooden tea tables made in early America.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!