Thursday, July 2, 2015

"Tea time in the air"

If you ever have the time or inclination to browse, the Library of Congress website is a fun place to look through old images. This one is titled "Tea time in the air." According to the information with the photo, Miss Wanda Wood, hostess for Eastern Air Transport, is serving tea for two to Misses Charlotte Childress and Elizabeth Hume aboard one of the line's passenger planes. "The company provides bridge, tea and cigarettes," according to the photo ID,  with hostesses arranging the bridge games and serving the tea. The photo is dated January 10, and the year is listed as both 1930 and 1931, so choose your favorite, I suppose.

Now while I'd love the tea and wouldn't mind learning to play bridge, I must say I'm pleased that airline hostesses don't provide cigarettes on planes anymore.

And on a fun note, check out the expression of the lady at left. What is she thinking? "Man, I'll be glad when this flight is over." "I wish there were something besides tea in that cup." Or perhaps, "If only I didn't have to change planes in Atlanta…"

Feel free to add any thoughts of your own!

13 comments:

  1. What fun! Things have sure changed. Once upon a time it was the standard to keep the customer happy! I'm with you about the cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo, great find!
    She is thinking, "what's that on the back of her dress, what has she been sitting in?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo! We were served afternoon tea (tea sandwiches and all) on a flight back from London last year. A doctor said when you retire learn to play bridge or the piano to keep your brain active. I have to believe the piano is easier! Still working on my bridge game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo! We were served afternoon tea (tea sandwiches and all) on a flight back from London last year. A doctor said when you retire learn to play bridge or the piano to keep your brain active. I have to believe the piano is easier! Still working on my bridge game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo! We were served afternoon tea (tea sandwiches and all) on a flight back from London last year. A doctor said when you retire learn to play bridge or the piano to keep your brain active. I have to believe the piano is easier! Still working on my bridge game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo! Will have to explore the website.
    She's thinking, "Hmmph, my backside is smaller than hers."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the photo is wonderful and educational as well. I am with the two other women who were mentioning the woman's backside. I think she was saying to herself, "I wish she would get her rear out of my face!"

    ReplyDelete

  8. love vintage photos especially tea time. fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun photo. Having changed planes in Atlanta many times, you comment made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "My golly, I wish my buttocks still looked as nice as that young girlie serving tea!"

    ( Looks as though she's kinda staring at her bum!) Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Michele's comment, hilarious! That photo just brings back a time when travel was more elegant.

    I'm not sure if the Vintage clothing store is still there in Hapeville, but it sure had some "timeless treasures." The woman who owned it was a treasure to know: she was a retired flight attendant* *(only - don't dare say flight attendant to her, "I was a Stewardess for Delta Airlines, thank you!")

    Her store was like a time capsule: beautiful purses, gloves and hats - and so many stories! I enjoyed shopping there, both for the wonderful merchandise and the wonderful stories.

    I did not know her name but I will always remember her stories: about taking the train into Downtown Atlanta, always wearing gloves and a hat (when lunching at Riches, downtown). Thanks for inspiring the memories, Angela. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic photo! Look at how spacious that plane is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!