Monday, February 27, 2012

Tea & Crumpets

Have you ever made crumpets before? It's been years since I have, and over the weekend I decided tea-and-crumpets would make a fine lunch one day, and it did!

They're similar to pancakes, but because they're made with yeast they're softer and lighter. I use pancake rings to make mine so that I end up with perfect circles. (Spray the rings with cooking spray if you want an easy release.)

Crumpets end up with these delicious little holes on top, perfect for holding the butter you will surely want to melt on them. Confession: I later added some of my special reserve of a friend's homemade blueberry jam. Decadent! Now here's how I make 'em.

Crumpets

1 cup + 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons fast active yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten well

In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Add water, milk, butter and egg and blend until smooth. Cover and let mixture double in size. Ladle batter into rings and cook on medium heat in iron skillet. Yields about 10 crumpets. Serve hot with butter, preserves, or use as the bread for an open-face crab or chicken salad sandwich.

16 comments:

  1. Wow. You never cease to amaze me.
    I am not much of a cook so I do not think I will try these, but they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy, Angela! I have eaten them before, but never made them myself. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try making these. Yours look delicious and I bet the blueberry jam was the perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even seen a picture of a crumpet before. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOhh, your crumpets look divine! We used to have an Early American style tea room in the area called Tea & Crumpets, alas they have closed now, but they always served a crumpet as the first course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Angela
    I've never made, nor had homemade crumpets. I do love them though and have been looking in the grocery stores - none to find!
    I may have to make my own.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooowww !!!! Thanks for the recipe. I love crumpets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tea and crumpets; yum! I love crumpets although I have never made them myself. Thanks for sharing the recipe and have a delightful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela,
    I have never had crumpets but they look delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am a new follower.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe. I've only had them once, at a tea room on Cape Cod, but I really enjoyed them. Can't wait to try making them myself. Heidi T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love crumpets and have them every couple of months. I have a crumpet ring set from the 1970s in a very battered box that has survived a lot of moves. They are a favorite treat!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh! I can just taste them. They look perfect. Thanks for the recipe. Your tea cup is beautiful.
    Love, Carol B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE crumpets and can rarely find them around here. Thank you for this recipe!! I would love to share this recipe on my blog if you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your crumpet recipe ...they look so delicious! I found your blog from my visit at The Nest at Finch Rest and I am your newest follower. Hope you will visit Magnolia Cottage for tea time tuesday! Blessings,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your post, Angela - great photos! It brings back memories from when I was in high school and we had the Best Home Ec teacher, we made many recipes, including Crumpets!
    We ended the school year by going over to Miami Beach for a 'Floridian Picnic,' with everything from fresh orange juice to seafood salad - we had so much fun! Thanks for bringing back the memories, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!