Friday, June 8, 2007

Doilies to Dye For


Even BAD tea has a purpose, since you can save old teabags and use them to dye fabric and give it an aged look. The other day I needed a doily to place under a teapot to keep it from scratching a glasstop table. I have plenty of doilies thanks to my late grandmother, who I think crocheted most every day of her life, but most of them were white or ivory. I needed brown. Then I remembered the possibilities with tea dye! I put on a dozen or so past-their-prime teabags to boil. Once it reached a nice rolling boil I turned the heat off, then plopped in the doily to let it soak overnight. The next morning, I pulled out the doily and had a rich mocha shade. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!