SPOILER ALERT! PLEASE SKIP THIS BLOG POST IF YOU HAVEN'T YET SEEN THE LAST EPISODE OF SEASON 5!
Look what came in the mail last night! What great timing, because I am absolutely going through "Downton Abbey" withdrawal now that the show has ended for another year. My husband gave me the latest book for Christmas, so I am going to collect all the earlier ones, too, and will no doubt start watching all five seasons of the show all over again. When the show concluded Sunday night, I realized I needed a debriefing session with similarly DA-obsessed friends. So, let's have at it!
• What a fine episode that was! So much drama, so many intriguing plots … and I had three favorite scenes: 1) Carson proposing to Mrs. Hughes (of course!) 2) That beautiful shot of Violet and Isobel having tea (!) in the garden with some lovely flowers in the foreground and 3) Robert telling Edith he knows about Marigold and that all is well. Now I'm not much for crying over TV shows, but items #1 and #3 made me cry!
• Thomas. I must say, my hatred for him has softened a bit. He's still a conniver, but he seems to be using his powers for good more often these days. That trick he pulled on Lord Sinderby was just delicious. And didn't you love it when Lord Sinderby's butler was spilling all to ole Thomas? We just knew this wasn't going to end well for the butler!
• Rose, I must confess, got on my nerves when I first met her. (I say that as if we're close personal friends. You know what I mean.) But now, Rose seems to have matured and is wise beyond her years. I look forward to seeing what's in store for her next season. (I also want to go see actress Lily James in her new Cinderella movie. Is it crazy for a 50-year-old to want to go see Cinderella? Hoping one of my nieces will let me tag along.)
• Mary. Now I've always defended Lady Mary, but I found her a bit too something-something (as a friend of mine likes to say) this season. She's been awfully unkind to poor Edith, and I'm bothered that Mary seems to treat George as a sweet little pet. Is that just me? Have any of you found yourself bristling at Mary?
• Tom. Oh. My. Goodness. I love Tom. Don't you love sweet Tom? He just lights up every scene he's in, and I think he's turned out to be the classiest of the whole lot. I can see why he wants to go to Boston, but oh, I shall miss that man.
• Anna and Bates. Enough already. Julian Fellowes, with all due respect, sir, if Season Six is indeed to be the final season, would you kindly let this couple have five minutes of peace without an officer of the law showing up? They deserve their happily-ever-after, and soon.
• Violet and Isobel. What a delightful pair of chums they have turned out to be! And who knew Violet had a lurid past? Fun, fun, fun! I was very sorry, though, that Lord Merton's ill-bred sons got in the way of a Crawley-Merton union, but my gut feeling is that Lord Merton didn't deserve her anyway.
So here's what I'd like next season: I want to know what happens to Tom and if he actually makes it across the pond. I'd love it if Edith would marry a handsome man who's wild about both her and Marigold. (That new gentleman she met on Sunday night's show will do just fine.) If Mary plays nice, I'm okay with her marrying again. I'd like at least a brief glimpse of Carson and Mrs. Hughes's wedding, and I'd like to see Daisy in school somewhere. Giving Mrs. Patmore a suitor would be nice, too. I most assuredly do NOT want anyone to die. I particularly do not wish to see Violet die. Ever.
Okay, I've rambled on quite enough. What were your thoughts on the season, and what are you hoping to see in the next one?