Monday, October 18, 2010

A French press and tea infuser -- that works!

Recently I received an e-mail press release promoting Miam Miam's new Duet French press, which the company was calling the world's first hybrid French press and tea infuser. "Sure," I thought, completely skeptical. "Like that could ever work." The press release mentioned samples were available, but I've tried several French presses that supposedly brewed tea, always disappointed when tea leaves ended up in my brew, and so I didn't want to waste time trying another one, even if it didn't cost me anything. About two days later, my coffee-drinking husband, who had never expressed an interest in a French press before, told me he was researching these gadgets online. "Wait!" I said. "I'll get us one that's a hybrid!"

Though still skeptical, I replied to the publicist that I would indeed like to try this new product. The Duet arrived the other day, and as soon as I pulled it out of the box I realized this was not the usual French press style of tea infuser I've tried before. It comes with two interchangeable rods, one for coffee ...

... and one for tea.

The one for tea includes a fine mesh infuser basket.

And the tea rod has a hinge that allows it to lock into place out of the way of the water once the tea is finished steeping. Looks like someone in the design world is a tea lover after all. Hmmm. Now things were starting to get interesting!

The top removed easily, and I began to get my hopes up that this Duet just might work!

I measured out some Florence tea from Harney and Sons and placed it in the basket while the tea kettle boiled. Soon, I was pouring water into the French press.

Here, the floating basket is doing its thing. I love that the tea leaves have lots of room to expand and develop their flavor.

The result? A well-brewed cup of tea, easily made, and in a two-for-one space-saving device that my husband can also use with the coffee rod. (He has tried the French press himself and was pleased at how easy it was to use.) So, I have to say I was truly quite pleased that the Duet is everything it claims to be. The 20-ounce pot I received retails for $32 (a larger size is also available), and I think it is definitely worth the money. If yours is a dual-hot-beverage household like mine is, this is a piece I am delighted to recommend! (I searched for them online by looking up "Miam Miam Duet infuser" and quite a few vendors came up.)

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like this appliance works well. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear this works well - and how nice that you can brew tea and coffee. Thanks for the review,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you found one that works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. It is cute, but I don't think I would want both coffee and tea in the same container. It looks like it could be nice for travel though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, cool! I do use a French press for coffee and often thought of trying it for tea (actually I think someone blogged about it), anyway this looks like the perfect idea for a quick, clean & easy cuppa without the messy leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a good product for someone with a small kitchen. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooooooooh looks like a keeper! And you lucky gal, got to try it first! I recently got a coffee french press and oh the glorious taste! It truly does taste different than the drip method.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, we were wondering about this, and it sounds like a safe bet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!