Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Tea" is for Tomato!

If you're a tomato lover like I am, there's no summertime meal that can compete with a nice glass of iced tea and a fresh tomato sandwich! My friend Deberah's heirloom tomatoes ripened before mine did, so I was all too happy to relieve her of some of them when she offered to share.

One of the best and easiest tea sandwich recipes I've ever tried is this one: Combine two parts shredded cheddar cheese to one part diced tomato and moisten with mayonnaise. That's it! I used 1/2 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup of tomato and about a spoon of mayonnaise and got enough filling for two sandwiches. So yummy, and so easy! When I'm making tea sandwiches for tea parties, I tend to use my small-sized teapot cookie cutter to cut out "finger sandwich" size pieces of bread.

That wasn't quite big enough to satisfy the desires of someone wanting to celebrate the beginnings of the tomato harvest, so instead I just used my cookie cutter to make a cutout in my regular-sized sandwich. I'm not sure whether I really like the look of that big sandwich enough to serve it to company, but I can tell you I LOVE the taste!

And because I feel like a proud new mother, I have to show you that I *do* have heirloom tomatoes of my own on the way! Not sure which of the three heirloom varieties these "mystery tomatoes" are, as they got all mixed up during planting, but I'll bet I'm going to like them! (And if you're a fellow tomato lover and/or grower, I'd love your advice on which heirloom varieties to try next year!)

11 comments:

  1. Oh my that sounds wonderful. We love tomatoes. Norm will enjoy them once he gets home from rehab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had green tomatoes for weeks now. They refuse to ripen. I think it's a diabolical plot! I finally succumbed and picked some of the green ones and fried them. That'll show them whose boss!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't grow tomatoes, but sure do like to eat them. Nothing beats the taste of a fresh off the vine tomato.

    That sandwich filling looks yummy. I wonder what it would be like broiled on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our tomatoes are not ripe yet, either. It looks like I may have to go to the local Farmer's Market to buy tomatoes while I wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've had a tomato sandwich in some way, shape, or form every day this week. Today's was bacon, swiss cheese, and tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, that sandwich looks delicious! I totally agree with you about tomatoes and sweet tea - can't get enough of either! Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sandwich looks yummy! I love tomato sandwiches too and usually toast my bread and spread with a little mayo. Am waiting anxiously for my tomatoes.
    I planted them a little late so I probably won't have any for a while but we are getting wonderful ones at the farmers markets in the area.

    Cherokee Purple, Black Krim(love these as they often have a heart shape), Cream Sausage, (makes an interesting creamy yellow tomato sauce) Buckeye Yellow (a favorite here in Ohio) are my favorites and of course a big Beefsteak is a must.

    Hope to see the harvest when your tomatoes are ripe, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love a fresh from the garden tomato sandwich. Has to be Duke's mayo and homemade bread is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband love Brandywine heirloom tomatoes. You are so far ahead of us on tomatos. I finally saw my first tiny one beginning to form today. I hope we gets some before winter comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's remember these tomatoes this Winter when home grown are not
    available !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!