Tuesday, August 18, 2009

New herbal teas from Mighty Leaf


You can't judge a book by its cover, and I've also learned you can't judge a tea by its name! The newest samples I received from Mighty Leaf are named Rooibos Renewal and Spirulina Stamina, and to be honest with you, because of the names I wasn't expecting them to taste very good. I figured they would be tolerable, and they would probably be *very* good for you, but they just wouldn't be very tasty and would probably be heavy on the mint flavor. I am happy to report I was wrong and these teas are perfectly delicious!

First, I tried the Rooibos Renewal. And may I just say what a PRETTY tea this is? I mean, really. Look at those neat little bits of flowers, especially that purple one. Here's what the description says: "Rooibos Renewal blends mineral and antioxidant-rich rooibos leaves with vitamin C-rich orange peels and flowers for a nurturing blend." I have enjoyed most of the rooibos teas I've tried anyway, but this one was extra tasty and citrusy. Nice!

Next I tried the one whose name I was really worried about, Spirulina Stamina. You can check out the definition of Spirulina on Wikipedia, but I don't really advise it. After all, do you *really* want to know your tea comes from a species of cyanobacteria? Instead, amuse yourself by looking at the pretty dried rosehips (they look like dried cranberries). Or just read the company's description of the tea: "Spirulina Stamina features calming lemon balm with blackberry leaves, vitamin C-rich rosehips, black currants and schizandra, along with mineral-rich green yerba mate. Rounding off this blend is spirulina, a superfood that is rich in protein, iron, magnesium and vitamin B-12." I was charmed the minute I opened the sample packet because of the spicy scent that made me think of entering a bakery. And the taste? It reminded me very much of some of the better apple cider type teas I've had in the fall. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of Rooibos, but your description of these teas makes them sound really good. I think the second one with the spicy bakery scent would appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I got these, too, but haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn something new all the time! I've always just assumed those red fruits in tea were cranberries. Next time I'll have to look closer and see if they are rose hips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!