Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Oolong Dead" by Laura Childs


Can you believe Laura Childs has now given us 10 of her lovely tea shop mysteries starring Theodosia Browning and the famous Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston? I'll never forget how I discovered them way back in 2001. I was in Scott's Bookstore on the square, waiting to interview a local author who had a huge line of folks waiting to have their books autographed. Never much of a mystery reader, I had landed in a spot next to a rotating rack of paperbacks when I saw the title "Death by Darjeeling" and, at the top, "A Tea Shop Mystery." Now this was a mystery series I might actually enjoy!

And enjoy them I did. From "Death by Darjeeling" on to "Gunpowder Green," "Shades of Earl Grey" and all the rest, I have greatly enjoyed befriending these characters, which is interesting for someone who never read much fiction. So much "tea talk" is woven into these stories, how could a tea lover not like them? After I got hooked on the Laura Childs series, I began reading Jan Karon's Mitford books and Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilts books. It's so nice when an author respects you enough to know you don't need profanity or gratuitous sex and violence in order to be entertained. So I could read a new tea shop mystery about once a month if Laura Childs could turn them out that fast!

And the latest, "Oolong Dead," is one of her best ever. Why? 1) I loved the backdrop social occasion being a Venetian Masked Ball. 2) I totally did not anticipate who the killer was, and I'd been smugly reading along assuming I knew the killer's identity early on. 3) Theodosia has some very good fortune in this book which already has me dying to read the next book in the series. 4) This book seems to include more recipes than usual. I particularly want to try the Green Tea Granita and the Honey Mustard Egg Salad. And in light of the fact Theo's 10th tale has now been told, don't you think it's time her publisher gives us an Indigo Tea Shop Cookbook? I'd sure enjoy having all these recipes in one handy volume!

11 comments:

  1. I really like these books. Seems like it has been a long wait for Oolong Dead. I have Laura Childs "Death Swatch" from her scrapbooking mystery series on my nightstand right now. This series also includes craft tips and favorite New Orleans recipes.

    A Tea Shop Mysteries cookbook would be great. How convenient to have all that tea info and her recipes in one place. They did that with the Mitford series recipes, but I haven't read that book, have you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh! I'm going to request this one now from the Library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the books in this series, and am glad to know there is a new one out. I sure wish there was a tea shop just like Theodosia's in my neck of the woods....her descriptions of it, (and all the tea and goodies they serve)make it sound like a place I'd love to hang out in. I can vouch that her "Sweet Potato Scones" were delicious! (Recipe found in "Dragaonwell Dead.")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I got a little "burned out" on this series of books and have skipped reading the last few. I will pick this one up and read it thanks to your review. I too appreciate reading books without profanity, sex and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any of these but I wish her publisher would give Charleston a REAL Indigo Tea Shop! As you know, there was not - until very recently - even a proper tea shop IN Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this sounds like such a fun book!! I love books that come with recipes in them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Travis McBEE"??????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...please where can I buy a unicorn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...please where can I buy a unicorn?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!