Monday, July 7, 2008

Green Tea Zucchini Bread


When friends are as generous with the fresh vegetables as ours have been this year, you can afford to experiment, so that's what I've been doing over the weekend!

The first time I made this zucchini bread recipe, I used too much butter and it was too spongey in texture. Plus, I decided it could stand another bag of the matcha tea, and now I think the flavor is just right, since you get that little zip of "something extra" from the tea. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Green Tea Zucchini Bread


4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup grated zucchini (with peel)
1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
Contents of 2 Double Green Matcha tea bags from Republic of Tea (about 1-1/2 teaspoons of dry tea)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Dash of cinnamon (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in order listed, mixing after each addition. Prepare a 9 x 5-inch glass loaf pan with cooking spray, add batter and bake for 50 minutes or until brown on top. Yields 1 very moist loaf. Refrigerate any unused portion.

Here's what the batter looks like when you add the dry tea.


And yes, you can drink this tea as well as eat it!

6 comments:

  1. I can always use a new zucchini bread recipe at this time of year and this one sounds delicious. Thanks. My generous neighbour gave us a lot of tomatoes, so I think I'll be trying a recipe for fresh tomato soup today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister just gave me some giant zucchinis for July 4th. I can't wait to try this recipe tomorrow! Please visit my blog!
    http://partywishesscv.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! Does the green color remain after cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, the green just sort of blends in with the rest of the batter, so the green you see is really just from the zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green tea is also a Superfood in and of itself. Check out this article for more Superfoods and make sure to take a look at next Friday's blog entry with more tea based recipes using additional Superfoods. Julie for Bigelow Tea

    www.aarpmagazine.org/health/cold_busters.html

    (Look for the text in the box on the right.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!