Friday, May 16, 2008

"Afternoon Teas" by Valerie Ferguson


My local bookstore couldn't get it. Half.com and eBay didn't have it. Even the normally amazing Amazon.com didn't have it. But apparently I had asked the good people at Amazon to send an alert if this book from a publisher in London ever became available, and bless their hearts, they have made me the happy owner of "Afternoon Teas: Homemade Bakes & Party Cakes" by Valerie Ferguson.

I first saw this book in a British publication about a year ago, and you know how that sometimes goes; it's not always so easy to locate a product whose home office is across the pond. But this book really looked like a good one for tea enthusiasts, and I was so happy the morning I got the e-mail alert that it had become available.

What's inside? In addition to that yummy looking Summer Shortcake on the cover, there are cakes and gateaux, cookies, pies and tarts, jams and preserves, breads and a whole section of cakes for birthdays and other special occasions, all with step-by-step instructions and photos. I've noted a number of recipes I want to audition for possible starring roles in some future tea parties: Cheese and Chive Scones, for one, and Red Grape and Cheese Tartlets for another. I would have started the baking last night, but alas, I didn't have enough eggs in the fridge. Perhaps some of you have been waiting for this book as well! (Note: I just checked and Half.com does have the book listed now, but check shipping, because it may be a toss-up as to which seller has the best buy.)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It looks like a lovely tea book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another teatime book that I'd like to add to my collection. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful!! I must get a copy.

    Congratulations on your 100th post.

    Candyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this so strange--when I put in the title of the book on Amazon I got this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Afternoon-Homemade-Bakes-Party-Cakes/dp/1844761789/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210954702&sr=8-2
    It has the same title and photo but is a different author.
    Candyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be a great resource, I'm sure. One of my [many] weaknesses is browsing keyword "tea" at Amazon.co.uk True, the current exchange rate is rotten and overseas postage can be expensive, but sometimes it's just plain worth it if you find something really special. Alternatively, if you have a friend in the UK, you could have it shipped to them and they could bring it over on their next trip to the States. My mother-in-love does this for me. (I try not to weigh down her baggage *too* much! LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!