Friday, September 7, 2018

"4 children around table, having a tea party"


This photo from the Library of Congress, circa 1893, is labeled "4 children around table, having a tea party." It is a "Photoprint by Gatch," and the caption card has categorized it as "Tea drinking; Children playing adults; Ph. Ind. (any idea what that means?); Tea; Children Play; and Shelf."

When I noticed the trunk at left and the three older children swamped by their oversized garments, I realized this very likely is children pretending to be adults, and I find that quite charming. (These days, I just wish some of the adults I know would pretend to be adults, and I'll bet you do too! Ha!)

5 comments:

  1. What a great photo! I love that the boys and girls are all dressed up, but if they only knew, they would wish to stay children a little bit longer and still enjoy their tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved playing dress-ups as a child. Although we never had tea. If I ever have a grand-daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a very interesting and cute photo! I like seeing the items messily scattered on the floor, which would be natural for the children to do. I have no idea what the "Ph.Ind" means in the caption. That "photoprint by Gatch" leads me to guess that the photo was taken by Helen Plummer Gatch, a noted photographer who lived from 1861 to 1942.
    --from Vernona in DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute photo. Yes, I agree with your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I loved dress up when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!