Monday, June 18, 2018

A Monticello for Steubenville teacup

I was in a new antique store in Dallas over the weekend, the Dali and Davinci Marketplace, when I spotted a new teacup for my growing collection of blue models. This one was the prettiest soft shade of a blue that had a touch of periwinkle in it, and the scalloped edges, rosy interior, and $6.95 price tag (and to my surprise, 20 percent off that) made this one a winner. But you know what another of my favorite features is on this teacup?

 
The backstamp! I'd heard of Steubenville but not Monticello made by Steubenville. That's got to be one of the most detailed backstamps I've ever seen, and I decided I had to do a little research. Steubenville Pottery Co. of Steubenville, Ohio, was in business from 1879-1959. The Monticello pattern was produced in the late forties and early fifties, and pieces were marked with a special backstamp listing the distributor, Herman C. Kupper of New York. I found an old ad for Monticello pieces, and it called these wares "Monticello—America's distinguished dinnerware" and said it was available at "better stores everywhere." I suppose so-called snob appeal has always been a selling tactic, yet how ironic that years later, I would purchase my Monticello secondhand.

But then again, if they'd just said "American's pretty dinnerware," that wouldn't have been much of a slogan, would it?

9 comments:

  1. The cup and saucer are beautiful. And I love the back story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see it also has Monticello the home of Thomas Jefferson included in the backstamp. Being from VA it's nice to see. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! And yes, that backstamp is very detailed and unusual. I'm glad you found this teacup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty, Angela, and a nice keepsake of your Dallas trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find! Love the backstamp, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating find. The inside told me the era, but the outside for some reason just doesn't flow with the inside. Anyway, I love it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello tea lovers. I'm new here. I found an exact cup, but a very pretty pale pink. The nursing home I used to work at, was tossing 5 boxes of tea cups and saucers. I offered to take them. I fell in love with the stamp, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!