Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tea and Books Saturday #22 - "The London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea"


The London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea
By Helen Simpson
1986, Arbor House/William Morrow

Although I've had it for years, I only recently actually read "The London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea" by Helen Simpson. What an absolutely delightful little book! I loved its small format, its recipes and its great variety of information, but most of all I loved its spirit, you might say.

Describing the legendary teas at the Palm Court of the London Ritz, Simpson writes: "Here is one of the few places outside church or royal garden parties where a woman may wear a hat and feel entirely at ease. In fact, those approaching the Palm Court clad in such garments as jeans, shorts or sneakers will be reluctantly but firmly turned away. Suitably dressed tea-bibbers, however, will be greeted by the Palm Court's Master of Ceremonies ..." In the section on tea's history, she says: "After more than a century of drinking tea from China, the British instigated and won the disgraceful Opium Wars against the Chinese. The causes of these wars will not be explored any further here for fear of shocking the reader." I love that! Also in the history section, Simpson notes that in the late 1700s, "tea was taken at breakfast and after dinner, always green and milkless, whether Bohea, Twankey or Hyson." Bohea and Hyson teas I've heard of, but Twankey? Turns out that was the name of a cheap blend of Chinese green tea.

I enjoyed reading the behind-the-scenes info on how the Ritz prepared its huge loaves of bread that were used in making tea sandwiches, and there were quite a few recipes I hope to try. I was especially intrigued by the Potted Shrimps, whose "mixture will keep for a month under its veil of clarified butter."

The book concludes with a short but helpful directory of teas, and it was there I found the Simpson quote I enjoyed most of all: "Tea-drinking is a cheerful habit to cultivate, as each cup gently shifts fatigue, lifts the spirits and brightens the brainbox." My brainbox certainly enjoyed reading this witty and informative book!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review of the London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea -just ordered a copy for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your Tea and Books series and am delighted when it's a book in my collection. There's such a vast number of books written about tea. I have a rather extensive collection of tea books too, but out of the 22 books you've reviewed I only own six. Amazing how the tea leaf inspires so many authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Phyllis' comment above. You have featured many books I don't have (yet)in my vast collection of tea books. I am enjoying this series of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might have this one, I must run and look. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy this book! One thing about our tea books - you can put one down for a few months and then pick it up and enjoy it like for the first time! Right? Have a good and LONG weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed delving into your delightful blog so very much, and have also borrowed the Simpson "brainbox" quote to put into my journal of lovely lines I like to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful little book. I never had tea at the Ritz in any of my trips to London, but it's a delightful thing to put on my wish list for my next trip (whenever that will be, who knows!).

    I have had tea at Fortnum & Mason's though and that is one of my favorite places in London.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!