Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Researching pottery and porcelain marks

Always eager to learn more about my teawares, I recently found a discount copy of a book I'd been wanting, "Miller's Pottery and Porcelain Marks" by Gordon Lang. I got the 2001 edition for about $5, and I absolutely love it! The book measures about 3-3/4 x 7-3/4 inches, so it's practically pocket-sized, but it packs a heap of info into its 400 pages.

"Miller's Pottery and Porcelain Marks" is a very user-friendly guide, and most of the pages show a pottery mark in the small left-hand column and then a description in the larger right-hand column.

Here are seven marks I photographed from random teacups. You can look up makers by name, by initials or monograms, and even by "devices," such as crowns, shields, anchors and globes. Only when gathering pieces for my photos did I realize my blue Swinnertons teacup and saucer has a teapot depicted as part of its mark! (Double-click on the images for more detail.) Sometimes I had to use the book as a beginning point to surf the web for more information, but with this book and the internet at hand there's been no mark, no company I haven't been able to find, and that is well worth the price of this book!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I need this book!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a good book I ordered a bargain 2008 edition. Your photos are great - that blue and white cup and saucer is beautiful. I like your makers mark collage too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a helpful book! Neat collage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to care about the labels, but now I just buy what I like and the label doesn't really matter much to me. It definitely would be a good book for anyone into researching and collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to turn over teacups and
    peek at the marks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!