Tuesday, May 4, 2010

An interesting new infuser mug

Not all gift shops are created equal. Some are significantly better than others, and I was happy to find that the Atlanta Botanical Garden's was wonderful! They had a great variety of offerings in all price points, ranging from inexpensive logo mugs to much more elegant South African teacups shaped like flower blossoms and silver and gold tea infusers and scoops. I got something quite practical: A new style of infuser mug I'd been tempted to try, only this time I didn't have to pay shipping.

The notable feature of this particular tea infuser mug is the fine mesh filter you see here. You simply add your loose leaf tea to the bottle, add water, screw on the mesh lid, and drink.


Of course ... that does present a tiny problem, doesn't it? The filtering works beautifully (not one speck of tea debris touches your lips!), but then you are left with tea leaves that steep and steep and steep. So I drank a peach oolong I hoped I could drink fast and then re-steep (I didn't drink it fast, alas, but it was a nice try). Next I think I'll use a green tea with water at a lower temperature, because it would be super convenient to just pour water through the mesh and enjoy those tea leaves four or five times. Clearly, I'm going to have to refine my tea selections and steeping times for use with this mug, but I think it's worth it.


My other ABG treat was this Green Tea Goods lip balm, a tingly peppermint one in a unique oval shaped tube.

Happily, the label lists green tea extract as an ingredient so I don't have to wonder!

11 comments:

  1. Well if you read my post from a while back when we visited the Congaree swamp, you know that I love gift shops at tourist destinations. Hearing your review of this one makes me want to visit it. I have a travel mug similar to the one you posted about. I have not yet used it but you have encouraged me to get it out and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your fun "tea" shopping with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a way to use the travel mug will definitely be worth it, Angela! Who knew travel mug tea could be so pretty? B-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your ABG gift shop finds. That is a nice infuser mug (great fine screen filter) - you'll just have to learn to drink faster to prevent oversteeping. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Invention and patent time, Angela. 1.Clear Travel Cup 2. Strainer that dips low 3. Sealed top 4. Drinking top 5. Recepticle which holds spent leaves in strainer for re-using -- you unscrew strainer and screw to this.
    Carry a thermos of boiling water. Pour for multiple uses over the strainer.

    Now one time, I had an Elephant brand thermos shaped like a tea-pot. I filled that sucker with a large pot of made tea, and poured into a travel cup. LOVED that...wish I could find another. It traveled great!!! If you find mine, please let me know!!! It was in a deep rose color--Angela, do you have it??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting mug, I've not seen one like that. Hopefully you will find a tea that works in it. What about herbals? They can be steeped for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, have you seen the new tea tumbler sold at Crate & Barrel? A little basket to hold tea leaves can be flipped down into the water and then up into the lid. I thought it was quite innovative, although to its discredit, the sample one at our store was broken. I think if you knew how to work it, you could avoid breaking it, but the plastic pieces just couldn't withstand random shoppers forcing it.

    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=725&f=36466&q=tea+mug&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. That link didn't work. Try this one, if you want to see it:

    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=725&f=36466

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, You do come up with the best things!
    I do agree with Gwen- patent time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the look of the travel mug. I keep thinking about carrying one on my website and will look to see what I find at the tea expo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your are right on putting lower water temperature for your travel mug. When you steep at lower temps, you can steep longer without bitter taste coming through! Also love the lip balm. I found this company at Natural Products Show in Boston. I blogged about their hand santizer-I really liked it and YES, it does have green tea in it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!