Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Encounter with a china painter

On our way back from a visit to Alligator Alley on Saturday (great fun, by the way!), my husband and I decided to stop by Art in the Park which was underway in the very picturesque, flower-bedecked park in downtown Foley, Ala. I love to visit outdoor arts and crafts booths, and the ones at this juried show were especially nice, I thought. I had a little birthday money left, and when I saw the china painter's booth I knew how it would be spent!

I think it would probably be very dangerous for me to take up china painting, because I can just imagine all the pieces I would want to create. Instead, I admired all the wonderful pieces created by Lila Farlow, R.N. Aren't the colors lovely?

Here Lila is ringing up my cup and saucer, which was marked $20 but as I dawdled over it she said I could have it for $15. For once in my life I wasn't trying to score a deal -- I was just trying to make up my mind which of the pretty wares would go home with me, and I had always assumed handpainted china cups and saucers would cost much more than that!

She was such an interesting lady. She also writes gospel tracts, and she made sure I left with a handful of them and a china-painted heart with yellow roses and the word "Soon" to remind me that Jesus is coming soon. (You're supposed to keep it in your purse with your coins, she says, so you'll come across this reminder. I'm not opposed to that, but I'm not sure my coin compartment has room!)

Here's another view of the teacup. The bottom of both cup and saucer are marked Psalm 23, which is of course a favorite psalm, and it's a great memento from Art in the Park. The Foley folks sure made it an enjoyable afternoon!

8 comments:

  1. I can see how it would be difficult to decide which beautifully painted china piece would come home with you. Meeting and talking with local folks is one of our favorite parts of travel adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a talented women ! China painting would require patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty cup. I am sure she must just enjoy painting them and the price is inconsequential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW OR WOW what incredible pieces.
    This lady has raw talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cup and saucer. Meeting the artist makes it all the more special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely work this woman offers. Looking forward to finding some local shows that might offer this sort of thing around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, beautiful stuff. Agood friend of mine's mother was a china painter and made the loveliest things, which she treasures. Fortunately, the talent was passed on and myfriend also does exquisite work

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lost art form indeed and this is just lovely!! You selected a beautiful piece my dear!!! Gosh I could have spent a few Hamiltons there too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!