Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teabag wrapper clipboard


If you've been saving all your teabag wrappers, here's a cheap and easy way to use up some of them while creating a nifty clipboard you can use at the office or at home.

I've been saving my teabag wrappers for quite a while now, and I was reminded of what I'd meant to make when I saw this little item in the new Country Living. You can buy a postage stamp clipboard for $28, or you can make one of your own pretty much for free if you happen to have an old clipboard you can use!

This plain clipboard is one I've had for a while and cost about $1 at one of the local bargain stores, as I recall. Or maybe it was the one I got for 25 cents at a yard sale. (I like clipboard crafts and have made one of these before with fancy floral scrapbooking papers. Now I keep a clipboard or two around in case inspiration strikes.)

My other supplies: Sandpaper. Mod Podge (decoupage medium). A paper trimmer to neaten the edges of the teabag wrappers.

Once I had shaped up the wrappers a bit, I just started slapping the Mod Podge down with a small paintbrush and applying the designs willy nilly to the clipboard. To my surprise and delight, even the flimsy wrappers with plastic-like or metallic-looking linings worked just fine, often better than the paper ones, which tended to wrinkle. When the surface was covered, I applied another coat of Mod Podge over the entire surface. Once the Mod Podge dried, I used the sandpaper to lightly file down the edges all around the clipboard. Done.

One final tip: I don't really care what my clipboard looks like *under* the clip, but if you do ... slip a piece of wax paper under the clip while it dries. I did that the last time I made one of these and it worked great to prevent a line from appearing on the papers under the clip.

21 comments:

  1. Now that is too too cute!!! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute. I will show this to my little crafty one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! With the amount of tea I drink, I should have enough wrappers to make one of these by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the stamp ideas in Country Living and wanted to show my daughter (because she use to collect old vintage stamps) but I never thought of using tea wrappers- so clever! And cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Will you make me one?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Nancy, I would be a nervous wreck worrying about every wrinkle and imperfect spot if I made you one! Maybe one of the more *polished* crafters on here would be willing to make one for our friend Nancy? If so, please speak up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your teabag wrapper clipboard is great. It would definitely be fun to use and a great chronicle of all the teas you've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you! I am so going to make this craft! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea!! I might have to do something like this myself. While cleaning out our garage recently I ended up with a stack of 6, yes 6 clipboards in a variety of sizes. I don't know why we have so many other than when we couldn't find one we just bought another... shame on us. Well, now I can make a pretty one to use for my tea business. Thanks a bunch Angela, I love "craf-tea" ideas like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, for sure, I have seen everything. What next?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I stumbled upon your blog when googling the Tea Shop Mystery books. I love tea and I love your blog. I will be visiting often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angela! Worry Not! Alas, I see no one has offered to make me one, so I'll just have to add it to my 'to do' list when I have some free time!
    It truly is a fun craft... so colorful! I would hate to put anything on the clipboard and cover up the tea bags!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness, I really love this! I love recycled projects. Will you PLEASE let me repost this? if I promise to give you all of the well-deserved credit and link back to you??

    Amy
    http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angela, you did it again - what a BRILLIANT post and BRILLIANT idea. I just love it! (Now I know what you meant about the "great minds" thing. LOL) Now I want to wallpaper a room using teabag wrappers - but my little cottage doesn't have a spare room to do so!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! I can see this in themes, such as all green teas, all black, wedding teas, fruity teas, etc... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. İt is so cute ı like it.I am from Türkiye.I can send some tea from here.If you want send me e mail ok?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! I can see with with other labels, too --- what a grand idea. Thanks!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute idea! Now I wish I had saved all the interesting teabag labels over the years! I guess it's not too late to start, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!