Thursday, June 11, 2009

Spring 2009 Tea A Magazine


The new issue of Tea A Magazine recently arrived, and as always there is plenty to interest us tea lovers! But can I just say this cover isn't my favorite? I don't like that the top half of the magazine is pretty much white space, especially when there is so much in the tea world that would be great on the cover of a magazine.

But enough of that! My favorite article is the "Guatemalan Tea Journal" by Jane Pettigrew, which recounts the trip she and editor Pearl Dexter made to Guatemala's Los Andes Tea Garden back in the spring. Both these women seem to be such lovely people (I got to meet them both briefly when the World Tea Expo was in Atlanta), and in reading their writings through the years, I think I am most impressed that they have such humility about their tea knowledge. They seem well aware there is always more to learn as a tea lover, and that is encouraging to an amateur like me!

Also in this issue, several tearooms are profiled, including the Harney and Sons Tasting Room in Millerton, N.Y.; Wystone's World Teas in Lakewood, Colo.; and the Strawberry Tea Room in Starke, Fla. As an aspiring tea room operator myself, I love to read how the other entrepreneurs manage their businesses. Anyone else seen this issue? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

8 comments:

  1. I've met both Jane Pettigrew and Pearl Dexter several times through the years. They are, indeed, lovely ladies. I have not seen the magazine yet, but wondered what you thought of the "Green Tea Gnocchi" that is mentioned on the cover. Is it a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angela- I hate to disagree with you. I find the cover stunning! The cup is so pretty that nothing else should be on it. (Oh did that sound too harsh?) It's just that I oooed with the first sight of the cover as I opened your blog.
    I must start a subscription to this magazine. I just haven't gotten to it.
    Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynda, it is indeed a recipe that's inside but since I'm not a gnocchi fan, it didn't really appeal to me. And Teresa, I'm happy for you to disagree with me and you didn't sound at all harsh! For one thing, it keeps me aware that what appeals to one person might not appeal to another, and also -- you are one of those lovely people who knows how to disagree without being disagreeable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an enjoyable issue, wasn't it? Since I'm such a big fan of Assam tea, I enjoyed the article "Assam - the Jewel of the Jungle". The recipe for Vanilla Tahitian Chai Latte really appealed to me. I also love the tea room reviews and like to think that I might even make it to Stark, Fla. sometime to visit the Strawberry Tea Room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this issue, but haven't gotten through all of it. Oh, I wish I had known you when you were at the World Tea Expo in Atlanta. I was there too. Did we meet? I met so many people when they would come through the booth.

    I didn't mind the cover, but thought it was confusing. The pretty cup didn't relate to the lead in of the Guatamalan trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to be hip wearing an apron. I would have been wearing an apron at Marmalady's booth. Glad you liked the jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Angela, I have yet to see this magazine but "the tea cup" has me mezmerized...is it a real tea cup? It looks more like a piece of art. Thanks for another great story, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joanie! Yes, that is indeed a real teacup. I think they carry this line at Collector's Corner. Used to be located right there when you go up the stairs that lead up from the Jasmine Tea Room!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!