Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Raspberry Financiers


Three seemingly random events: 1) My friend Liz opens an antique store, I spot six cute vintage flower-shaped metal molds, and she tells me just take them. I do. No idea what I'll use them for. 2) Almost a year later, and I notice raspberries are on sale at the grocery store. I buy some. 3) The new issue of Tea Time magazine has a recipe for Raspberry Financiers (teacakes) that appear to be made in the very molds I now own. Coincidence? I think not!


The Tea Time recipe looked pretty easy, but alas, it called for several ingredients I didn't have on hand, like almond flour and a vanilla bean. So, I researched financiers several places online, experimented with a few substitutions, and halved a recipe I found for 12 (since I had just six molds). These turned out just lovely and tasty, especially with the warm raspberry flavoring it all. DH also said he thought they had a very nice texture (sort of spongecake-like). So here's the recipe for my "cheater" financiers!


Angela's Raspberry Financiers

1/2 stick unsalted butter (or margarine; see below)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Dash of salt
2 large egg whites
3/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
6 raspberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

First, brown (but don't burn) the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Do this slowwwwly. Strain butter and let it cool for about 10 minutes. (Because I didn't have unsalted butter on hand, when I strained the margarine I had a lot of salt strain off, so I would definitely go with unsalted butter if you have it.)

Meanwhile, add the sugar, flour and salt to the bowl of a mini-food processor and pulse a few times. Once the butter cools, add butter, egg whites and almond flavoring. Process until mixture is well blended. This will be a thin batter.

Spray molds with cooking spray and spoon about two tablespoons of batter into each. Place a raspberry in the center of each mold and cook for about 15 minutes or just until they start to brown around the edges. Yields 6.

9 comments:

  1. These look adorable.
    I have been seeking pans like those.
    I will hold on to your recipe in hopes of finding them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great name considering the price of fresh raspberries. These little cakes look very pretty and sound delicious. I love sponge cake and I have all the ingredients on hand, so I think I'll try them. Mine will be baked in muffin tins (I don't have the fancy molds). Thanks for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just perfect. I really need some molds. I just may have to make a trip to Senoia! Great job. It doesn't always work for me when I make substitutions so I am especially impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a beautiful job. They look so perfect!
    BTW- Did Liz tell you I met her last week on my way to Barnesville? I just LOVE her store. Thanks for letting us know about it. Senoia has surely grown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious! I noticed that recipe in my issue also and would love to try it.

    Yes, the tea room I mentioned that closed in our area was Gracie's. I really enjoyed going there and had a birthday tradition of having tea there with my family. A friend seriously considered buying it, but decided not to at this time. I hope someone will revive Gracie's, though. We need a tea room in Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, fun! They look scrumptious. And congrats on the tea room! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty in your new molds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela what a great recipe - I am printing this out right now! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!