Friday, September 18, 2026

On clipper ships


This week, I was busy editing a client's thriller set in and around London, and to my delight, she included several scenes set around the Cutty Sark, the world's last surviving tea clipper. As often happens when I'm editing, I find myself googling little details about the topic, and that's how I ended up finding this brief video about the ship, a vessel I actually visited when I went to England for my birthday years ago. It was stunning to stand aboard the actual ship that once raced across the waters while transporting tea!


Maybe I've subconsciously had ships on the brain, because I happened to find this pretty brown transfer ware plate at our Habitat for Humanity thrift store the other day, and I decided it would be nice to include it in a fall display. I rarely find brown plates, so when I spot one at a good price, I get it.


And isn't this ship majestic? I love the flag waving in the breeze!


I learned even more from the back stamp, and now I'm thinking I'll need to include some of this "ship" stuff in a book one day!

4 comments:

  1. I love the plate! Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to see your plate purchase! I found a cup and saucer in this pattern years ago which started my interest in this pattern. Over the years I have acquired a brown plate and another cup and saucer. Also I have found a blue transferware plate in this pattern.
    I am on the lookout for a another brown one. So pretty for the fall! Jan H

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice plate, and a very interesting little video, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown transferware has a place in my heart. I have the sole remaining piece of my great-grandmothers set. My mother told me that my great-grandfather smashed the set in a fit of grief after my great-grandmother passed away. (in the 1920s). My mother as a small child walked in on him and terrified, ran to her mother, who came and calmed him down.
    So, every time I look at their plate, I think of these people who I never met.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!