Friday, May 27, 2022

A teacup rain chain





This pretty verdigris finish teacup?


I now have eight of them thanks to a new rain chain I bought over the weekend! I've had teacup bird feeders and teacup wind chimes, but I'd never even seen a teacup *rain chain* until I spotted this one at a cute shop called the Vintage Owl in Lavonia, Georgia, last weekend. Originating in Japan, rain chimes, I learned, were designed as an alternative to gutter downspouts, a decorative way to collect water or direct it away from the house.


But this huge sweetgum tree in my front yard had a metal swing arm mounted on it when we moved here sixteen years ago, so I removed the bird feeder I'd had hanging there and hung the rain chain. It's been raining a bit off and on all week, but I'm waiting on a real gullywasher to see how this piece performs. I have a feeling that rainstorms this summer are going to be much more fun to watch!



8 comments:

  1. Interesting. Sweet sounds of raindrops! DonnaZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that! I'd find a place to hang one at my house even if it didn't catch much rain. (And if you got the rain yesterday like we did, I'm sure it got a workout!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Never heard of this either!!! Beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

  4. That's an interesting concept! I've never heard of "rain chains" before, but that one looks very pretty, even without rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh neat!!! I love rain chains - they always have such a nice tinkling sound. ♫ ♪

    Had a wonderful rain today - everything is so lush and green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now who would have thought of making a teacup rain chain? Amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!