Monday, December 27, 2021

"Twisted Tea Christmas" by Laura Childs

 


Did you all have a nice Christmas? We did, and one thing I enjoy about the time between Christmas and New Year's is a little extra time for reading books and watching old movies. On Christmas Eve, Alex and I watched the 1947 movie The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, David Niven, and Loretta Young, which was quite enjoyable. And over the weekend, I also finished reading the latest tea shop mystery from Laura Childs, Twisted Tea Christmas.

I believe this is the first time Childs has released two books in the same year, and I would be delighted if she makes this a habit. I greatly enjoyed reading this book at Christmastime, and boy, could I relate to tea shop owner Theodosia's busy schedule, trying to keep work afloat while she shops for Christmas gifts and enjoys a few holiday social events. 

The story begins at a fancy Christmas party Theodosia is catering at the home of Drucilla Heyward, a famous philanthropist in Charleston, but before the night ends, Miss Drucilla ends up on the floor with a syringe in her neck, murdered before she could even announce the names of the nonprofits who were going to benefit from her largesse. Some expensive rings are missing from her body, and a Renoir she had purchased is missing from the home as well. Naturally, Theodosia finds herself right in the middle of the murder investigation, and the list of suspects is long: Miss Drucilla's personal assistant, the executive directors of the various nonprofits who were hoping for a gift, an art dealer, her nephew, and more.

Christmas is just days away, and Theodosia's sleuthing happens in spurts between some of the many delightful teas that she is hosting with the help of her chef, Haley, and tea sommelier, Drayton. I greatly enjoyed reading about the food and decor for the Nutcracker Tea, the White Christmas Tea, the Old-Fashioned Southern Tea, and the Victorian Christmas Tea. My mind started churning with ideas for a themed tea of my own next Christmas.

As ever, the town of Charleston is a character in its own right in this book, and their tourism board ought to give Laura Childs a key to the city since she makes so many of us want to go there and book a stay at a B&B—along with afternoon tea, of course.

This mystery was a tough nut to crack, and the red herrings were plentiful, making it even more fun to try to solve. If you haven't already discovered this book, it would make some particularly fun reading this week!

7 comments:

  1. I read "A Twisted Tea Christmas" a couple of weeks ago, when my library got it in, and enjoyed it. Reading the books in this series DOES always makes me want to visit Charleston, which I have not done yet. I always wish that I could attend those fun theme teas at the fictional Indigo Tea Shop, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to go, too, Vernona! If someone ever opens a *real* Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston, we should all plan a meetup!

      Delete
  2. Angela, I just finished reading "A Twisted Tea Christmas" yesterday. I even made Drayton's Pork chops last night for dinner---delish! Several years ago after visiting Charleston, I wrote to Laura Childs to say i wished she would do a Christmas-themed book for this series. The Indigo Tea Room, with Charleston as background, seemed the perfect setting for a holiday mystery. Finally got my wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those pork chops are tempting to me too. Thanks for the recommendation, and thanks for planting the seed for this lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Angela! I too just finished Laura Childs, "A Twisted Tea Christmas." I am happy she finally wrote a Christmas themed tea mystery. I had hoped for years that she would. Personally, I think this time of year is the perfect time to write a story and I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real Indigo Tea Room would be great. When I visited Charleston a few years ago One thing it was missing was a proper tea room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy this book on my travels in October.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!