Monday, November 2, 2020

Feeling thrifty …


I recently saw someone on Instagram mention that her latest post was a "loot shoot," a fun term for her photography of the junk she'd found at garage sales. I've had a wee bit of luck at thrift stores lately and thought you might enjoy the "loot shoot" of my finds! First, Aunt Jane and I hit up Goodwill on Saturday, and I was thrilled to find several vintage Christmas goodies, all at great prices, and a new-to-me name in dinnerware.

First, I was happy to find a few little china pieces I think will be fun to decorate with. The tree full of Santas was $1.49, and the angel ornament was 59 cents.

My best find there, though, was this pretty set of holly and berry mugs for $1.99.

I prefer that soft look on my Christmas wares, and while I couldn't really tell whether these are vintage or not, I like the look. They would be great for gift giving with a packet of cocoa and a small gift tucked inside, or … I may keep them to use with mix-and-match Christmas plates at a future tea.

They're marked Porcelana Schmidt Brasil (with an "s," I noted), and while I learned the company dates to 1943, I can't figure out the age of the mugs. If anyone knows, please share!

Later, we went to the Salvation Army, where I found this pretty Christmas bell for $1.50.

It's marked Lefton China, and I have several Lefton dishes among my Christmas goodies, so that was a fun find.

Two weeks ago, Aunt Jane and I went to another thrift store which shall remain nameless, and I didn't have to think too hard about whether this 40-cent mesh teacup should go home with me.

The most fun story, however, is that I had to dicker with the clerk over the price of these old "light candles," which I'm thinking of using for a Christmas craft. I saw her looking for the price, and I told her they said 80 cents on the back. She held one up and examined it and said, "No, I think it's twenty cents." Me: "Are you sure? I mean, I'm happy to pay eighty cents." Her: "No, look. I think these two were eighty marked down to twenty, and I'll let you have the other one for twenty too." So I left with the three candles and a teacup planter for one dollar. When I told Alex, he said, "So you beat a thrift store out of money?" But no, I didn't, and I honestly tried to pay her more! (But what a fun adventure in thrifting, eh?)




11 comments:

  1. Great finds! That Christmas angel has such a sweet face. I'm glad your thrift store visits were successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely the "Queen of the Thrift Shops"! You really did find a lot of good
    "loot." Like Joy, I especially like that little angel ornament. I was not familiar with the Porcelana Schmidt company, either. I see that Replacements Ltd. does have several other pieces of that pattern that your new mugs are in. The pattern doesn't have a official name but is just called SHM7. It's been discontinued, but there are no dates given for when it was active. There are also some pieces of it available on Etsy and eBay and they do call it "vintage" but give no dates. Some sellers call it Holly & Berries, and some call it Christmas Holly Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds!!! That little Christmas tree with Santas just says you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I meant to say, that Christmas tree and Santas will be adorable displayed with some of your Santa mugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun finds! Loved your "loot shoot".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great finds. We have the candles and the bell,too. Enjoy.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thrifting fun! Loot shoot is funny. Wow those candle lights look vintage too. Great find....so what kind of craft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking ahead to next year, when I want to go with pastels for my Christmas decor, and I'm thinking of removing the cords and spray painting these pink and/or aqua (or decoupaging if they won't take paint) and inserting vintage bulbs, just for looks. (Does that sound nuts?)

      Delete
  8. Great finds. Share what you make with the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of your treasures! The angel may be my favorite! I haven't been thrifting since March and have missed it...in the meantime I will continue to enjoy seeing what you find...and you do have a knack for finding!!
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous finds! I think the mesh teacup is my favorite. I've never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!